What is the meanest thing you've ever said to someone

That you wish you could take back?

Years ago my kid's step mom was arrested for dv against my ex. Can't say I blame her for wanting to beat the crap out of him, but since it happened in front of my kids, DHS put a no contact order between her and them. After her court hearing, where the judge totally reamed her, we passed in the hall, and she yelled a few choice names at me, including the offlimits c word!!! I replied, "the only thing that would make this day better is for you to die on your way home".

I've always regretted that. I apologized later but it still bugs me

Nimue930

Asked by Nimue930 at 8:31 PM on Oct. 11, 2013 in Relationships

• The meanest thing I ever said was to my mom, and although it was deserved, it still bugs me today. My dad had yelled at my boyfriend for giving our toddler a tap on the knuckles when she was throwing fruit cocktail off her high chair tray in the middle of a hissy fit. Both of my parents accused my boyfriend of abusing our child, and I asked them how they even dared to say such a thing after the way my mom had treated me growing up, and the way my dad ignored it. My mom got all huffy and told me she was tired of hearing how she had mistreated me, because I'd bitched and moaned about it to anyone who would listen. I snapped. I said, "No, Mom, don't worry. Your secrets are safe. Most of the horrible things you did to me are hidden in the privacy of my own flashbacks and nightmares."

She went dead silent.

I've always wished I'd managed to get a grip on my mouth before I spit out that poisoned dart.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• I've never said anything that I wished I could take back. I say what I feel, I mean what I say. If someone doesn't like it that's their problem.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:33 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• I have said some pretty harsh stuff but not that I would take back.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:41 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• See, first I just read the title...and started wondering what's the meanest thing I ever said to my ex husband?
    But, then I opened the question and saw "that you wish you could take back". So, he no longer applied. LOL
    It's probably something I said while angry at one of my kids.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:22 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• That a cm mom was teaching her children to be future Internet bullies. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:49 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• probably when my mom's new husband came with her to see us for a day or two and I don't remember what he said, I think he wanted me to do something or take a picture? I responded with "you're not my dad" I didn't mean it in a mean way- I actually meant it jokingly...and it sort of just flew out of my mouth- I was actually surprised at myself when I said it- I mean I was like 43 and my dad died when I was 27... not even sure he heard it, no one said anything about it or even looked at me funny or anything. It was weird. But I was worried they all thought I was being mean- that no matter HOW that came out-it wouldn't be taken right you know?

told my daughter she was being a bitch once. She admitted she was being one
    * didn't actually call her one, just said she was acting that way

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:40 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• Nothing I would want to take back, that I can think of ATM.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• I don't think I ever said anything so hurtful that I wished I could take it back. Well, I'm sure I told my mom I hated her at some point, which I would totally take back.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:51 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• I also regret yelling at my best friend at work one day. I was 3 months pregnant and my husband was in Iraq and she had asked a simple question. I snapped at her and later apologized but things weren't the same after that. That has been 9 years ago and it still bugs me. Man, I don't handle stress well.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• Ugh, I can think painfully of two things that I've said to my children when upset. I make amends (and take explicit responsibility) immediately or as soon as possible, and I try to remember to make space for whatever feelings they have in response (generally those come up later, in some other apparently unrelated context. It is pretty inevitable that they will feel rage, hurt, disconnect about an experience like that, even if they don't express it immediately. Our actions always have consequences.)

So I would say my response has been optimal, and I can be compassionate with myself about it because I do understand why that kind of thing happens, but just UGH! It still hurts to be hurtful, because I try to take better care of my feelings so that I'm not prone to "acting out" in that way, with anybody.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 3:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2013