Can I safely have a 4th c-section?

I have had three C-sections without complications. In fact, I healed pretty quickly with all three. My boyfriend and I are thinking about having one more baby before we get too old. I am 34 now. My concerns are that the scar tissue is too thick from my past three. I can feel the line when I touch it and the doctors took a long time cutting through on my third. I read on the internet that if the uterus heals thick on the bottom that a woman can have many C-sections. Is this true? I have an appointment to take out my IUD, but that is only with the nurse practitioner, and they said they are not qualified to give me a consult. It has been 3 1/2 years since my last C-section. I need some advice!

stormqueen

Asked by stormqueen at 9:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2013 in Pregnancy

• I would schedule an appointment with a doctor who can take a look at your medical records and examine you to determine what would need to be done if you were to get pregnant again. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:47 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• Sounds like a good question for a medical professional. Maybe you will get lucky and one will answer.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:47 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• I have an appointment to take out my IUD, but that is only with the nurse practitioner, and they said they are not qualified to give me a consult.

I would speak with a doctor about this. No much advice we can give you here.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 9:55 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• Ok, thank you. I guess I'm just waiting for someone to tell me what I want to hear. Which is "yeah! You'll be fine! Start making babies!" Lol =)
    stormqueen

Comment by stormqueen (original poster) at 10:07 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• Well, I hope the doctor will say you'll be fine, hurry up and start making babies! *Smile.* Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:20 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• My personal opinion is that you and your boyfriend should go to your GYN and talk frankly with him or her about your individual case.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:46 PM on Oct. 11, 2013

• Talk with a doctor, for sure.

But, I will let you know, I've known some ladies who've had upwards of 4 c-sections and been fine, but one lady did end up needing a hysterectomy after last baby was born because of the scar tissue.

There's no telling what will happen with you. Good luck! Is there a reason why you cannot have a VBAC?
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 1:48 AM on Oct. 12, 2013

• Most doctors will tell you no. The risk is uterine rupture. Scar tissue does not expand which the uterus needs to do as the baby grows. It also depends what kind of incision was made. Your best bet is to ask your doctor for his opinion. That said IF you get pregnant again, they will have to get it out of there somehow and a C-section is probably safer at this point. I'm not going to say "Yeah sure go ahead", but I am also not saying "No way. You are done. "
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:15 AM on Oct. 12, 2013

• To be honest, probably not. If it's that you want another child in your family, then ask yourselves if you would go through adoption to expand your family if your uterus had already been removed. If the answer is no, then your family is already done and enjoy what you have.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:05 PM on Oct. 12, 2013

• When your planning to have a baby you should always set up an appointment to talk to your doctor, make sure your healthy and address any concerns you do have. A prepregnancy screening is always best :)
    CEWarsop

Answer by CEWarsop at 1:36 PM on Oct. 12, 2013