Did anyone outside my local area hear about our blizzard last weekend? (added pic)

I was hesitant to post at first, thinking that someone would post it. But then I found out that we didn't even make national news! Worst October blizzard in the recorded history of the Black Hills!

Anyway, some highlights:

Thursday, Oct 3rd, cold rain all day.

Friday, Oct 4th, early morning it turned into snow, and snowed (with HIGH winds) for 24 hours. Power went out all over the grid around 6-7pm that evening. Some places were only out a couple hours, while others STILL do not have power!
We ended up getting our power back extremely late Saturday evening.

Over 70,000 horses and cattle lay dead because of this storm.

And...it looks like we're in for another blizzard Sun/Mon time-frame, with people still out of power....

My front yard.

hopeandglory53

Asked by hopeandglory53 at 1:57 AM on Oct. 12, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Kinda reminds me of Hurricane Rita, aka the forgotten storm.

Glad your safe.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 8:29 AM on Oct. 12, 2013

• ExDH told me about this the other day.
    5 ft and all the dead cattle.
    As a farmer who makes a living selling feed, the dead animals made us shudder.

Yippee. Beef prices are on the rise.

Be safe.
    And if it's happening to you, please post about it even if someone else does too.
    It gives us an opportunity to mentally log your location and remember to ask about your health and safety during extreme weather.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:33 AM on Oct. 12, 2013

• Oh kiddo stock up and stay safe and warm.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:19 AM on Oct. 12, 2013

• Hadn't heard, but to be fair I have watched the news in over two weeks. Been too busy. Stay warm.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:30 AM on Oct. 12, 2013

• hugsWell that sucks!  I hate winter & thankfully haven't had to deal with anything like that yet.  I hope that's not a sign of what our winter will be like too.  Hope you are stocked up & have a way to keep warm if you lose power again.  Being socked in with all the kids can get to you too.  Too bad they can't have them do their school work online when this kind of stuff happens.  Hang in there.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:51 AM on Oct. 12, 2013

• Hey Panda! You're back!
    I remember Hurricane Rita!

I haven't heard of that storm you mention, burrrr! I'm afraid we're in for a cold one this year!

KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 10:22 AM on Oct. 12, 2013

• Yes, but only on Glenn Beck. Very sad there was no major news coverage!

Answer by missanc at 10:54 AM on Oct. 12, 2013

• I had heard, my mom lives in Wyoming, and it was pretty bad there, although it sounds like it may have been worse whee you are. Stay safe and warm!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:40 PM on Oct. 12, 2013

• I read about it, and then saw some people complaining that places like CNN didn't pick up on it until a week later. I didn't realize the drastic scale of the damage until I saw the complaints, someone posted pictures of all the horses that died because they hadn't grown out their coats yet.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:39 PM on Oct. 12, 2013

• It did make the news here in Colorado, at least a little. Stay warm!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:02 PM on Oct. 12, 2013