How often do you feed your family processed food?

Such as Hamburger Helper, Instant Potatoes, pre-packaged food?

KTElite

Asked by KTElite at 12:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2013 in Food & Drink

• They sell collard greens in a can??? Seriously!

Yes!

and they are delicious.  Home made is better... but these are good.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:00 PM on Oct. 12, 2013

• We don't like hamburger helper or instant potatoes. However we eat stove top, dried potatoes, boxed cake mixes, canned/carton soups. Store bread, goldfish crackers, canned biscuits, seasoning packets, jelly, peanut bitter, ketchup, pudding, ovaltine and I could go on..

I'm flawed. What can I say?
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:42 PM on Oct. 12, 2013

• More often that I would like to admit. I am pretty good about making non-prepackaged dinners but when it comes to lunch, I do tend to buy chips, cookies, capri sun drinks, etc.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:35 PM on Oct. 12, 2013

• I wasn't really throwing more than "meals" in there either.
    We do puddings, cake mixes, soups and prepackeaged snacks like granola bars, fruit cups etc

luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 12:46 PM on Oct. 12, 2013

• Almost never. We still get things like ice cream or chips once in a while, and I do tend to keep some processed stuff like refried beans and tortillas around for when we decide to make something like that on the fly, but meals are from scratch, we don't use things like canned cream soup in them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:27 PM on Oct. 12, 2013

• Let's just say I'm no Rachel Ray & we are all well-preserved! lol ;p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2013

• I did better when I wasn't trying to run a business and a household and raise a kid at the same time.

Those are the reasons WHY I avoid processed food as much as possible. We don't have the money to waste on it, when there's so much going on. I have school, work, parenting, running the house, helping my husband with his business, more now since he's picked up something part time since it's slowed. Every dollar we could spend on premixed/premade stuff is a dollar we could be using for gas money or bills.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:46 PM on Oct. 12, 2013

• The crock pot is your friend.

I can have the roast or chicken whatever in the oven then when hubs is here he can do the potatoes ( I cant physically peel, chop or mash them) while the other veggies are cooking.
    It really isn't that much more time consuming to cook healthy and you can always double up and freeze for a later date.
    We dont eat perfect every meal, not even hinting at that but, the thought of hamburger helper and boxed dinners would make me find a way to cook even on my busiest and most painful days
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 2:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2013

• pasta (yes I have makers, still in the boxes)

IMO, the easiest way to start doing your own pasta is skip the pasta maker and just make it freeform. Roll it out, roll it up, cut it with a knife across the roll. It won't be pretty and uniform the first few tries, but it tastes the same, cooks the same, and once you have it for a few meals, you won't care if it's not perfectly straight.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:23 PM on Oct. 12, 2013

• I made hamburger helper the other night for the first time in many years. I almost threw up. I'd much rather make my own stroganoff.

We do buy bread, and some pasta and tortillas for weeks when I'm just too busy. I do have the occasional frozen pizza. I work two jobs and only have one day off a week. If I work that day as well then there's no making things ahead of time for the week. But we limit what we to buy, and I've noticed that since we've really cut back on the processed foods we eat, I can't tolerate them when I do try eat them.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 3:27 PM on Oct. 12, 2013