What kind of consequences do you use?

When your child keeps up with an inappropriate action at the wrong times what kind of consequences do you give them?

My son (7 yrs old 1st grade) has been the class clown now for months and he has been taken out of class a number of times to keep him from interupting class and put in a time out area. We have taken his TV, vidio games, and computer time priviliges away now for a week. Then today was told again by his teacher he began with his behavior and was given the color red and owes her some time out of his recess time. What would you do in this matter? I know he knows how to behave and we have told him there is a place and time for these actions.

Thanks for all the input Ladies! I do not know what I would do with out all the great advice I receveived from you all!

jem102675

Asked by jem102675 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• no time w/ his friends no phone no music no nothing eat sleep home work breathe let him know u mean buisness
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 1:17 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I agree with taking away privileges. We also use sentences when we have to repeat ourselves, the more times they get in trouble for the same thing the more sentences they have to write. I am not sure if your child would be ready for this, but when our second grader was caught hiding her homework and telling us she didn't have any, we had her write an essay on why it is important to do your homework. Maybe if you made your child write lists of reasons it is important to pay attention at school, and better ways to make friends than acting up in class.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My daughters are similar and I don't do much until it is way out of hand like the teacher complains to me personally.

Then I just take away TV and whenever they act wrong at home , I make them turn around and act right. Like today my daughter decided she was going to be ugly and hateful, I made her leave and come back until she could do it right.

I like what emtmommyamanda said too.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 1:41 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I guess I should have stated that he is in two homes he is my bonus son. Just habbit calling him son, sorry.

We do tell him that we will take him rollar skating and water parks. The thing is he is always with us we all play games together always doing family things alone time. We have been trying to communicate with his Birth Mother on what she does in her house for consequeces with out any kind of reply back from her. His teacher always talks to DH about these issues and then sends emails to his BM. Just a little fustrating for us all I guess. He is a treat to have home he is the clown of the family, makes us laugh all the time. I do not really know we just want to help him learn that there is a time and place for these actions like before class, recess, after class, home, just not in class when that time is for learnin.

jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 2:01 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• If he's only acting up at school and not at home, find out what's going on at school - is he bored, or getting picked on, or frustrated because he doesn't get what's going on?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:19 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I use the way of super nanny. Time out in a special place. One minute for the number of years ols he is. he did 6 mintes at age 6 and 7 at age 7 and now 8 minutes in a place where there is nothing to do except to sit or stand, but I can still see him. We use our stairway as time out. I can still sit in the living room and see him and there isno way for him t see outside or see the TV. After his time out he must apologize and then I give him a hug and we go on. It works great.
    seasidegrandma

Answer by seasidegrandma at 10:48 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• These are all attention getting behaviors. The teacher needs to take away his audience somehow. Maybe she needs to change where he is sitting so that he is not close to certain children or maybe closer to her desk or the front of the room. Remember that when you are trying to get a behavior to stop it usually takes more than a week to see results. So everyone needs to be patient and keep being consistent and firm. Most of the time ignoring a behavior somehow is what works for attention seeking behaviors. Also, when ignoring behaviors or trying to change behavior, kids will often increase the behavior you don't want. To get your ATTENTION! It may get worse before it gets better. Once they see that it is not working, the behavior will decrease. Also, it is very possible that TAKING HIM OUT OF CLASS or sending him home WOULD BE A REWARD for his class clown behavior if he wants to get out of something in class.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 4:43 AM on Feb. 21, 2009