Did you or your kids have. . .

music class in elementary school?

I grew up in southern California. I didn't have any kind of music class until Jr high school. If you or your kids had or have elementary music, are you glad it was offered?

Asked by musicmaker at 12:23 AM on Oct. 13, 2013 in General Parenting

• All 3 of my kids were fortunate enough to have Gym, Art & Music in their regular schedules all throughout their schooling. Of course, once the boys got into HS, the only thing that was required was Gym. I'm very glad they have all been exposed to the arts. My youngest has inherited her daddy's artistic & musical talents, so she esp. enjoys those classes.

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:52 AM on Oct. 13, 2013

• My kids both had it and I'm real glad they offered it. But that was eons ago!

Answer by KTElite at 12:27 AM on Oct. 13, 2013

• I had music class all through elementary school, and my daughter has it now in kindergarten. Personally I think a lot can be learned through music. My daughter learned her days of the week through a song from school.

Answer by Ballad at 12:29 AM on Oct. 13, 2013

• We had music class all through elementary school, however, it was nothing but singing and learning songs. My son has music class and he actually gets to try out different instruments, learn about music notes, composers, and other things.

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:38 AM on Oct. 13, 2013

• Yes. I had it as a small kid and my kids have it too. Our school is a k-12 charter school. It is a classical education school that focuses on academics and part of that is art and music. They also have latin from kindergarten and spanish from 2nd grade. And every grade also has gym.

Our school is usual where we live. Our regular school district has cut music and art from elementary schools and only has gym 2 days a week. And none of them offer other languages until high school.

I ♥ our school.

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:46 AM on Oct. 13, 2013

• My DD has music class once a week.

Answer by 3libras at 1:21 AM on Oct. 13, 2013

• I had music class once/week throughout elementary school as did my kids. Starting in middle school it's only offered as an elective. I enjoyed it as a child but didn't learn much, I took piano lessons privately so I knew about rhythm, tempo, basic music theory. I think the same is true for my kids.

Answer by missanc at 7:22 AM on Oct. 13, 2013

• My kindergartner says he has music class, although I'm not sure how much it entails at this level.

I am hoping, given both DH and I play instruments and have a love for music, that as he gets older he'll find one he likes. Some of our favorite school memories are from when we were in band.

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:33 AM on Oct. 13, 2013

• when I was growing up we did have music in elementary, and now my 7yr old does as well. I dread the day he brings home the evil recorder.

The the fuck did this help my education?!

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:30 AM on Oct. 13, 2013

• I did when I was in school. I can't recall how often. My first grader has it once week. It's one of her favorite classes. She doesn't even mind that she has to miss recess for it.

Answer by PandaGwen at 10:50 AM on Oct. 13, 2013