baby with torticollis?

(Torticollis, also known as "wryneck," is a condition in which your baby's head is tilted. The chin points to one shoulder, while the head tilts toward the opposite shoulder. ) What causes congenital torticollis?
Congenital torticollis occurs when the neck muscle that runs up and toward the back of your baby's neck (sternocleidomastoid muscle) is shortened. This brings your baby's head down and to one side. This is known as congenital muscular torticollis.

has anyone else had a problem with this? i was not sure how common it is. my 6 month daughter has it.

lilredsfrm67

Asked by lilredsfrm67 at 1:19 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow! I saw the title of you post and I had to respond.
    I have Torticollis, commonly know as cervical dystonia. I also have oromandibular Dystonia which is in my jaw and head muscles.

The symtoms were not noticeable until about 24 mnths and acually were not in my neck or head. weird huh?
    It started causing problems in my larynex at age 9 and didnt cause major trouble til 20 years old.

The treatment for Dystonia is medication and Botox injections....gasp, botox??? I know it seems strange but for most people this treatment is sucessful. However, in my case it didnt work which is common too.

I am not certain about treatment for infants though. I do know that childhood Dystonia is easier to treat because the child grows up not knowing any different. With adult Dystonia it is acute and can be a huge life change.
    The first step is to see your family Dr he then can send you to a neurologist who can give a diagnoses
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 1:36 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• And treatment options. This can be a serious disease and it may spread. Mine was is genetic and was pasted to me from my father who has dystonia of the vocal cords.
    It can be painful so getting to the dr is important for your babies comfort.
    If you have any questions I can answer them the best I can from a patients point of view. Although this is a neurological disease which means a part of the brain doesnt work properly it can be managed with great sucess.

Good luck.
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 1:39 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• there's a group on here for people who's children have this. My friend has a daughter who has this. Check out her profile: kboney29 for the group
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 2:09 PM on Feb. 19, 2009