Do buy new backpacks every year?

For school? Even if last years backpack is still in decent condition?

munch12502

Asked by munch12502 at 1:19 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I buy them a new one every year because their tastes change, if the old ones are still in good condition then I freecycle them.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 3:35 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• i used to when they were younger now that they are in high school no i dont
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:20 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I bought my daughter one when she started K but they weren't allowed to bring them to school. So when we went shopping for school stuff this year I told her she could pick one out but she said she likes the one from K still and didn't want one. But I will buy one every year if she wants one.
    jstamom

Answer by jstamom at 1:23 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• No, I replace them as needed not a new one at the start of every year
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:31 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I buy three or four of them at a time when the school sales are running. That way if my son's backpack breaks or something, I'll have something on hand all the time. Last summer we ended up getting 5 backpacks free from Meijer. They had a deal where if you bought "X" product (can't even remember what it was) you'd get a $10 coupon towards a backpack so for a few weeks we'd get a $9.99 backpack for free. :-)
    Anonymous

• No, I buy them when the old one wears out. It so happens that for ds that seems to be yearly, since he seems to think the way to carry a backpack is to drag it across the pavement, but dd's looks like it will survive for another year.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:37 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• when I was a kid if our backpack was still good and not ripped or anything, we didn't get new ones. Freshman year I bought one of those jansport backpacts with the single front pocket. That thing was indestructable! It lasted me all 4 years of highschool. When my kids start school, those are the kind they will get. No character backpacks in this house! They are so crappy and are a waste of money.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 3:56 PM on Feb. 19, 2009