Do you ever feel like your relationship is like a prison?

Sometimes I think I have allot in common with a prisoner doing time. I remember when our relationship was fun and challenging but now it just feels like I'm a lifer just waiting out my sentence. It's like I've excepted that this mundane routine we call marriage is just me doing my time. How do I break free from this relationship jail when there is financial, raising children and vow responsibilities.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Oct. 13, 2013 in Relationships

• I've felt that way for short periods, but not consistently. Usually when I step back and think it through, it's not my relationship that is a prison. I'm stressed over time crunches, financial issues, stuff with the kids, health problems, or my own attitude. My boyfriend just does things to exasperate me, and it's easy to blame my feelings of discontent on him. What I realize is that wherever I go, I can't get away from myself. When I improve my own outlook, the problems that are bothering me tend to lose their importance in the big picture. If that's what might be going on with you, I'd encourage you to make a list of the thorns in your life, and maybe prioritize them and think about how to minimize their sting. If something more serious is going on and the relationship really is the problem, try spicing up your sex life, seeking counseling, or if all else fails, walking away.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• No, I don't ever feel that way. I do get fed up from time to time, but I try to take a look at what is making me unhappy and sort it out. If you have lost the will to even try I think you have a serious problem on your hands.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 4:16 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• Were you expecting anyone to answer 'yes'?
    Look, as hard as it'll be to walk away, your obviously not happy so why stay together? It's best to end it if you feel like your in a prison.
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 4:28 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• Prison is something that keeps you locked up, with no care about your rights or feelings, I don't feel like my relationship is a prison, because I have free will, and sounds to me like you should use yours.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 4:31 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• Happiness is a choice, and the only person responsible for it is you. So, if you feel like a prisoner, the same is true. If you aren't free where you are now, you won't be free somewhere else either. You get up every morning telling yourself you are free indeed, and then you live that day in freedom. Here's a helpful hint: Make every day about making your husband's world brighter, and your own world will suddenly become heavenly. Attitude is everything and how you think about your situation is how it will be. You are free to think however you choose to think!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:05 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• I've never felt that way and if I should ever feel that way, I would leave!
    Life is too damn short being miserable!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 5:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• it's just mundane? Then do something about it, put some life back into it

or is there more to this than that?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:11 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• No. Because if I did, that would be a relationship I would end.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• That sounds like me the last couple of years of marriage. So, I got a divorce.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2013