How do i get my 2 1/2 yr old out of my bed!!!

I made the mistake by bringing him into my bed and now he refuses to sleep in his own bed.  It has become too much and i'm not sleeping well!!

lruss

Asked by lruss at 4:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2013 in General Parenting

• There's only one way, and it will be noisy. You simply put him in his bed and you make him stay there. He will protest and it will be loud, so you have to determine from the beginning that he WILL stay there and you have to make it happen.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• Put him in his bed and when he gets up, gently put him back in his bed.
    Be ready for a very long night but don't give in!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 5:21 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• Pick him up and walk him to his own bed. Stick to it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• I agree with the others. Get ready for an epic battle, and simply decide you're going to win it. There's no easy way to convince the kid at this point, you just have to be the mom, figure out what is going to happen, and make it so. Get ready for a lot of bawling and bellowing, grit your teeth, turn up the stereo, and channel your inner stubborn mule. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:43 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• Only way to do it is to keep putting him back in his bed.

Answer by louise2 at 5:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• So your 2 1/2 year old goes and sleeps the same amount that you do?
    You need to take him to his bed, read him a story, and then go to bed in your own room. If he is going and waking up with you there isn't enough sleep for him period, unless you sleep 10 hours a night.
    Either put him to sleep in your room, then move him, or put him to sleep in his room, then go about your business.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:45 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• You didn't make a mistake in taking him to your bed, you really didn't. You MAY have made the mistake of not following his sleep patterns for getting him to sleep in his own room, though. He goes when he's tired, not when there's a time on the clock. Not all of us are programmed for the same amount of sleep and if he's not ready to sleep he WILL get up.

You can also tell him he's allowed to play with toys or look at books in his room. It's what I did with mine, and what my mother did with me. We're both short-term sleepers, waking for a while after three or four hours and then going back to sleep. WHen I figured that out with my son and let him turn on his own light and play with his toys in his room, the night wandering stopped. Except for the occasional nosebleed.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:19 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• Invent a time machine, go back 2 1/2 years, and never put him in your bed in the first place!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:52 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• Me and PGA are thinking the same way. I never had this problem, because I never let my kids sleep with me..
    I had a girlfriend when my oldest was around a year old who let both her kids sleep with her. She met a guy. Couldn't get those kids out of her bed to have fun with her new man. They didn't last very long. I learned from her.

Answer by louise2 at 7:39 AM on Oct. 14, 2013

• I agree you need to take him back to his own bed over and over.....but no anger....stay matter of fact....no talking after explaining it once or twice.. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 9:07 AM on Oct. 14, 2013