Does anyone work (or previously worked) in a day care/preschool center?

So, tomorrow is the big day when I negotiate details for my possible new job. One of the things that I was told to think about was the hourly wage. I looked on salary.com and the median wage per hour for this job is $12 an hour (which is what I was thinking about asking). I have several years experience in working with children birth-high school. I have an associate degree and I am currently working on finishing my Bachelor's degree. 

Here is my problem. My area tends to pay below the national average for most jobs. I have worked at a few day cares and the only time that I was paid anywhere near $12 was when I was in the Georgia Pre-K program which is funded by the state. This position is not in the pre-k program, however, I have heard that this center does tend to pay better than the other day care centers. I have heard that they start their new teachers off at $10 an hour. Since I have several years of experience and an associate degree, do you think it would be okay to ask for $12 and then negotiate from there?

Also, any other negotiating tips?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 8:14 PM on Oct. 13, 2013 in Money & Work

• I have always been more comfortable asking what range the employer offers it's employees and then I say, frankly, what I was hoping for. Maybe what you want is in their range. I always say I am open to working out a mutually agreeable hourly rate.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:39 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• I would just say, "I've done some research in to this, and based on my experience and education, it seems I fall into the 12 dollar an hour pay scale. However, if that doesn't match your proposal, I'm not firm on that number". Then see how she responds
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 8:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• I can tell you from experience, they do not pay well, at least in Florida...don't know about anywhere else...

Answer by older at 8:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• And congrats and GL!
    silverthreads

• Is there anyway you can find out ahead of time what they are offering? Some places will offer step-up increases based on experience & education. It's been a while since I've done a job interview- so best of luck to you.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• Is there anyway you can find out ahead of time what they are offering?

She wants me to give her my requirements for wages per hour. I'm not sure how I can turn that around to where they will give me an offer first. 

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• ^^^Well that sucks. Kind of a sneaky trick if you ask me :/
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• They do not pay well in general & find ways to screw you out of pay, like sometimes demanding certain certifications but, not paying you while you go get them done (not on clock). Or even sometimes, making you pay for them out of pocket.

I worked at a daycare center for 6 wks & it was my worst job ever.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• I would go for the $ 12.00. With your experience and an associates', you are skilled and capable. Hopefully they will be willing to pay a little more. If they think it is too high, they can offer you less. this way you aren't shorting your possibilities. Good Luck !!
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:21 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• I work at a childcare and learning center. There are women working there with Early Childhood Education degrees and 15+ years of experience and they are only making $10.50 and the absolute maximum anyone gets paid to work in childcare in my area is $12...no matter how long they've worked there or what their level of education is.
    collegexmamix28

Answer by collegexmamix28 at 10:21 PM on Oct. 13, 2013