How do I have my 4th grader do homework without telling her and reprimanding her everyday?

She tries to sneak in TV time and will do anything to stall esp in reading.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Oct. 13, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• You make a routine, everyday at the same time after school nothing else before homework...and you make her stick to it, after a while it will sink in....

Answer by older at 10:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• I always gave my kids a little time after school to do what they wanted and then had them do homework
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:28 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• we have a snack, then 30 min of tv and 30 min of outside or play then we do homework. Mine is in Kg, I keep reminding her that if it does not get done she gets a bad grade on it and if she gets a bad grade then she will loose tomorrows tv/play time at home.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 10:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• Ours have a set routine. Come home, take out dogs, have a snack, and then homework. No TV until everything is checked, and finished. If I let them have TV time right after school, they won't want to get up, and do their homework. It also allows them time to do stuff outside if the weathers nice, before it gets dark.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:14 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• Thanks. i tried to give her a schedule/routine but she deviates a lot when I am not home yet and dad lets her get away with it. She seems to get mesmerized with TV, any program as long as it's for kids.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• Is there some way you can get her dad on the same page? If not, it's going to be a long, hard road, you trying to enforce a schedule when you aren't there and Dad wearing the white hat and letting the kid sneak in TV time.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• Dad needs to be in sync with this or you're bound to fail.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:01 AM on Oct. 14, 2013

• You know every Cable box has a LOCK function on it. She doesn't get the code to unlock until her homework is finished. Problem solved.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:08 AM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Make set times Either right after coming home or right after supper. No ifs ands or buts.
    We did reading just before bed unless the teacher had a questionnaire to be filled out afterwards.
    My kids love to read though.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:23 AM on Oct. 14, 2013

• We had the after dinner routine for homework, but it doesn't matter as long as it is a consistent routine. And each adult needs to be 100% supportive of the routine. Set the rules and consistency now so it is easier as they get older and they can incorporate the routine naturally on their own as they get older.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 9:02 AM on Oct. 14, 2013