How many ounces of milk should a 6 month baby drink?

We had to start him on cereal right before 4 months due to him drinking around 19 ounces a day while at day care. I nurse him first thing in the morning. At day care he drinks between 5 to 10 ounces. He eats breakfast lunch and snack while he is there as well. When he comes home he eats again and then he nurses at bed time. Should I be concerned. I am unsure how much milk the day care adds to his meals and cereal. I general do around an ounce or so. He seems healthy and continues to gain weight.

crnorth

Asked by crnorth at 10:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 24-32 oz total
    It's hard to tell when you nurse. are you putting him on both breasts when you nurse each time?
    6-10 wet diapers a day?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• If he's getting somewhere between 24 and 32 ounces, or even a little more or less, plus solids, he's fine. It's not chemistry. If he's happy, smiling, and gaining weight, don't worry about the exact intake numbers.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:11 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• Yes he nurses both breasts. It is so hard to tell how much he is getting because I vary in production so much I average between 4 and 9 ounces a pumping. On the weekends I know that he is drinking more because he nurses. He just seems to prefer food at this point. the major decline occurred a couple of weeks ago when he had pneumonia and he was teething at the same time. He has not eaten/drank as much ever since. He continues to gain weight and I know that is related to how much he is eating. He loves food and I think he prefers it to milk.
    crnorth

Comment by crnorth (original poster) at 11:13 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• Ballad - My concern is that I think he is only drinking between 14 to 19 ounces a day. I don't know if I should be concerned about his nutritional needs because like I previously mentioned he is eating between cereal and food 4 times a day.
    crnorth

Comment by crnorth (original poster) at 11:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• Breastmilk? On demand.
    MoonFox4

Answer by MoonFox4 at 11:34 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• Ten ounces for an eight hour day is perfect at day care. Make sure soliuds FOLLOW nursing or bottles. They are not to be given before or in place of. If he eats NO solids in a day that's dandy. He doesn't need them. You are correct to be concerned; his milk intake is too low.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:52 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• Oh, and his preference means nothing. He gets no solids till he's nursed nicely. When he prefers chocolate cake to broccoli, you're not gonna let him have the cake first, right? Solids are chocolate cake at this age.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2013

• Amount doesn't really matter as long as they are growing and happy and healthly :)
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 9:57 AM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Thank you everyone appreciate the input. I agree milk before food.
    crnorth

Comment by crnorth (original poster) at 7:53 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• My youngest son at 6 months was getting 8oz of formula every 4 hours along with a bottle but depending on his mood he would get the bottle before or eat he ate his meal.

LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 15, 2013