How to get my dd to start dressing in the bathroom or bedroom and stop walking in on daddy?

My oldest dd is 8 and a half years old and since she was 6 or 7 we have been trying to teach her to start knocking when someone is in the bathroom rather than walking in. She still walks in which don't bother to much for me since I am a girl, but she walks in on daddy too. Plus we have also been trying to teach her that she is getting older (she is starting to go through puberty already) so I am trying to teach her to go to the bathroom with the door closed take a bath with the door closed she will get out of the bath and come down stairs to ask me something completely naked or whatever. They even walk in if our door is closed to our bedrooom (we aren't doing anything since I wait til they are asleep, but still). I have also been talking to her about puberty and periods and stuff. I have the american girl book well we talked about what pads and tampons are and stuff and she will just say it in front of anyone she doesn't care. Like the other day she was playing barbies in her barbie house and her barbie was going on the potty and she said her barbie was using a tampon. Well then she will tell me in front of daddy how she isn't going to use tampons. My mom got her training brasand she will say how she has no bras clean or she isn't wearing a bra and of course daddy says he doesn't want to hear it (because his baby girl is growing up lol)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Oct. 14, 2013 in General Parenting

• It takes a little longer for kids to feel modest and get "it". Any adults in the family should use the lock on the bathroom door or install a simple lock for awhile.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:36 AM on Oct. 14, 2013

• ok thanks
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:41 AM on Oct. 14, 2013

• But still reinforce that they should not run around naked. Stay calm and matter of fact about it. And actually it is great that your child can talk freely about these things she is learning. It shows you have a good, open, communication in the home which is invaluable when they hit the teen years. Tell your husband to get used to it ......joys of having daughters (!) and don't shy away too much so the girls still have honest conversations with him always. They will need that support once they start dating and boys are in the picture.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:54 AM on Oct. 14, 2013

• use the lock while in the bathroom, so she CAN'T just walk in.

remind her that she needs to close the door while getting dressed and that she is not allowed to wander the house without clothes. You guys don't do you? I hope not! Let her know she is no longer a baby and it's not okay anymore
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:06 AM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Do they get any brighter?

blank stare

KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 9:24 AM on Oct. 14, 2013

• You can also pass along feedback in an informational way. This in contrast to reacting TO the comments or behavior. It is helpful to "give feedback" because then you're not projecting onto the behavior just because it's upsetting or troubling to you, and assuming that it means something (to her) that it doesn't. Then it's less likely that you're reacting intensely to truly innocent behavior (playing out the stuff she's learning in life, and trying to come to terms with it; literally manipulating the info through play in order to "master" it herself) as if she intends to be offensive, provocative or upsetting.

So...If you don't like her talking about toileting or tampons in her Barbie play (or maybe it's just the tampon part?), then notice your discomfort, reflect on what it means or tells you, and communicate the information. (Maybe you don't want her saying "tampon.") It also gives you a chance to question yourself!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:03 AM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Locks and reprimands. By about 3 my kids knew better than to run naked through the house. It happened on occasion but still. We all had robes and you either dress in the bathroom (I do not, it is too steamy) or you put on your robe and dress in your bedroom with the door closed.
    There are repercussion for violating any rules. This is not exception.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:34 AM on Oct. 14, 2013

• No we do not walk around with no clothes on
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Has Daddy himself told his daughter that it makes him uncomfortable when she walks in on him in the bathroom? Sometimes feedback needs to come straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

As far as your daughter saying that Barbie was using a tampon, did she say it in front of younger children who wouldn't understand? If not, I'd let it be. Your little girl is just processing information she's been given, seeing how it fits into her life. My daughter is only five, so she doesn't know about tampons or periods yet, but I noticed that soon after she was potty trained, she'd get very verbal and descriptive about toileting when she played with her Little People or Polly Pockets. I didn't say anything, and after a while, as the novelty wore off the whole bathroom thing, the behavior went away on its own. Play is a safe place for kids to explore the new ideas they're bombarded with every day.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:30 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Yes he has. Just in front of her younger sisters
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2013