Help (College English question)

I am taking a college english class, my teachers only tip to better my last essay was that I work on taking more of an omniscient tone rather than a first person tone.

Any extra tips on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Oct. 14, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Omniscent is telling from an outside-looking-in point of view. Writing in this way eliminates 'I' statements and opinions, and forces the writer to focus on facts that can be pulled from the source being analyzed.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:02 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• http://www.carrollwooddayschool.org/uploaded/documents/ElementsofFiction6-4-10.pdf

This should help tremendously. I am guessing that you are "telling" rather than letting the reader "feel" it through word.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 12:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Luck
    I also suggest you carefully proofread. LOL
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• I'm not sure what you are writing,but a first person point of view is telling a story from the "I" perspective, as if you are involved or relaying what you see.

'I went to school with someone who had ADHD. With a few classroom accommodations, it looked to me like he did just as well as the other students.'

Omniscient viewpoint is telling the story from outside of it, as if you can see and know everything that is going on all at once, unlike you as an "I" who can only know what you yourself observe or think.

Students who have ADHD, wit a few classroom accommodations, usually do as well as the other students. They may feel frustrated ...
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Is there a writing lab on campus? I placed out of college English but I had friends who took their papers there for editing before turning them in.

Answer by missanc at 12:39 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• All the above have nailed it and I have nothing more to add except good lick.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Good luck

And I second the advice of finding the writing lab on campus and meeting with them before you turn your papers in, especially ones that count for a larger portion of your grade. They will proofread them and give you more in depth explanation of everything.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:46 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Wowzers thank you! Exactly the tip I needed.

I was writing a visual analysis essay. So I was giving a lot of my opinions on the photo that I analyzed. Even when giving facts I think I wrote it as if it were my opinion.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Thank you everyone.

I tried google, but sometimes there are not enough examples to help grasp the concept.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:50 PM on Oct. 14, 2013