Do you make your own salad dressing?

I decided to try a salad dressing recipe lat night that I found on Pinterest. Oh my goodness...it was nasty. It had red wine vinegar, lemon zest, dijon mustard and EVOO in it. I had to throw it out.

Do you have a good, tried and true salad dressing recipe? I hate the thought of wasting expensive EVOO again. :)

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 11:55 AM on Oct. 14, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I never have, but I've tasted mayo-based salad dressings made by other people and enjoyed them. I'm not a fan of vinegar-base dressings anyway.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• The closest I have gone in making my own dressing is buying the dry seasoning packet of buttermilk ranch where I add buttermilk and mayo to the seasonings.
    I haven't tried any of the oil based ones because I thought you needed to put it in a blender and blend for a while and it was more effort than I wanted to put into it.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• All the time, but they're usually vinaigrettes, and it sounds like you don't like them.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:14 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• I love bottled vinegrettes. This one was too tart. Maybe my ratios were off. I'm terrible at measuring things. Lol
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 12:16 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• I make mine like this, honey garlic and spices, with olive oil according to how much vinaigrette you want to make, and add a little capful or less  of blasamic vinegar, my family loves this one.

Answer by older at 12:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• I buy the "Good Season's" dry packets & add olive oil & balsamic vinegar. It's delicious!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• only one...a buttermilk ranch recipe that is excellent. 1/2 c buttermilk, 1 c real mayo, 2 Tb dried dill, 1 tsp garlic powder & salt. i usually add more salt but i like it salty haha. you mix it all together, let sit in the fridge for a few hours and thats it. real thick and creamy!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• I frequently make my own dressings, but I don't really measure. I go by taste and texture. Although, lately, I've just been using a little vinegar or lemon juice and cracked pepper on my salad instead of a dressing.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• We make our dressing 9 times out of ten. I don't measure anything though.

Most often it is
    white wine vinegar, EVOO, and preserves or White Wine Vinegar, EVOO, mustard and honey.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

It sound like the recipe you used was created to be more on the tart side. A little honey or sugar added net time should cut the acidity.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2013