Birthday Party Planning help???

Okay so I am throwing my daughter her first real birthday party. She is turning two and I didn't throw her a first because I didn't have the money to spend on a big party. I want her to have it at the local gymnastics place here in town. That will run about $150 for the rental of the place alone. I am going to invite about 50 people to the party. I am unsure how much food I will need. I definitely don't want anyone to go hungry, but I don't want to buy too much and end up wasting my money. I don't want to spend over $500 in all on the party (not including her present from me). With the max amount I would spend on the cake being $50 this makes my available budget $300. So my question is how much of the remaining $300 should I spend on the food and drinks for the party.

EmilyRenae6491

Asked by EmilyRenae6491 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2013 in Entertainment

• What type of food are you thinking?
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 12:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• @PandaGwen I wasn't quite sure, but definitely finger foods, i.e. pizza, chicken fingers, or something along those lines.
    EmilyRenae6491

Comment by EmilyRenae6491 (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• When I do parties and invite the classroom I do it at about 2pm that way people already ate lunch and it's not yet time for dinner, so you just do cake and maybe chips or a veggie plate rather than having to feed a bunch of people Unless that is what you want to do.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Check with the gymnastics place because there might be local restaurants or catering businesses that they often work with for birthday parties and the like. You can sometimes get good discounts that way.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• I do what Cassie suggested and have my kids parties at a non meal time. I do snack foods - chips and dip, fruit, pb&j triangles, etc along with cake but that's it. Feeding a large group can get expensive!

Answer by missanc at 12:37 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Cassie and Missanc, I might actually do that. Just make a bunch of finger foods like little triangle sandwiches and other snacks and just do the cake. That sounds like a plan.
    EmilyRenae6491

Comment by EmilyRenae6491 (original poster) at 12:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Be aware that this may be totally overwhelming for a 2 year old. The party is for her. Make the foods things she likes. I agree with contacting the gym to see what there restrictions are and what businesses they might have had used and recommend.

If you are inviting 2 year olds I am assuming that some of the guests are adults.

Depending on how long the party is to last cake and ice cream would be enough unless it is over a meal hour.
    If you are serving lunch and cake say so on the invite. If you are serving cake , say so. I would not go over board on the food because gymnastics and a lot of food spells upchuck, to me. JMO.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• I wouldn't even go all out like this for a 2 yr old, they aren't going to remember it anyway

We always had our parties at home and came up with a different theme every year and I made the cake to go along with that. As for feeding that many- yeah, don't do it at meal time, just serve simple snack type things and cake and be done with it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• well the way everything is set up as far as the party goes is one hour of play and then thirty minutes to eat and open presents. The play is at the beginning and then the last thirty minutes of the party is about the cake and presents.

I think I am going to have the party from 3 to 4:30. The other two time options are 10-11:30 or 12 to 1:30.
    EmilyRenae6491

Comment by EmilyRenae6491 (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Two is way too young for a party like that. I'd save the money & do it for her 4th Birthday the earliest.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2013