Got a puppy and now the people we got him from are asking for a small fee ... after the fact?

So, we got this puppy from a guys mom & her boyfriend that we know.

This was 2 weeks ago and the whole experience of getting the puppy was a bit frustrating.
They wanted to make sure he transitioned well. So they had us take him a total of i think 3-4 times over night then take him back to them for a day...

They originally i guess also put an add out on craigslist for the pups and said there was a re-homing fee of 25 dollars and included a bag of food.

We gave them 25 dollars and not once throughout the time of us interacting with them for 2 weeks did they ever mention any other cost.

Friday, they dropped the puppy off and we chatted for about 30-45 minutes in my house. Again, not once did they mention another cost.

Saturday, AFTER he was officially ours for good, the guy calls me on my cell and sounded for hesitant and sketchy almost saying he never got the $17 dollars.
I said my fiance gave them $25 dollars which is what they asked for. And he said oh no that was for the dog food. the 17 is for the deposit on the dog.

Okay, i am fine paying 17 dollars, im not saying its expensive because it isnt, i feel like they are pulling one over on us. No we would of course pay the 17 and 25 but they never ever mentioned it to us and its weird.
He told us since the dog is free, we just ask you pay 25 as a deposit towards the dog and the food.

Keep in mind each time we have picked the dog up and dropped him off and i had texted the woman MANY many times this was never mentioned to us.

It's just strange.

I told my fiance to ask the woman at his work who also got 2 of the puppies if they charged her this and if so when did they tell her.

Marley was already in our full possession and officially ours to keep and then AFTER that they mentioned it to us..

just, really weird.

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2013 in Pets

• I think 17$ is weird... Who comes up with that amount??? Why not 15 or 20???? To me, it sounds like they suddenly need 17.00 for something, and are trying to get it from you. Not that it's a large amount but its still strange...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• How strange! Tell them to go fly a kite. Don't give them another dime. If you owed more its looks like they would have asked for it when they dropped it off.

Also, I've never heard of transitioning animals back and forth like that either. I think these people might be wackos. GL.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 1:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• That is very odd...almost like a con except a con for a total of 42 dollars plus that you got a bag of food .LOL Weird but I would ignore any more calls or texts from them.They may just be confused and scattered or they could be planning to hit you up for more small amounts. Enjoy your new puppy.

Anonymous

• What a strange amount to randomly ask for. Congratulations on your new dog. They sound a little cuckoo.
    MoonFox4

Answer by MoonFox4 at 1:03 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• That is an odd amount and you do not change $25. for the food. That is goofy. You owe them nothing, after the fact and it might be easier to just pay the woman $17.00 and be done with it. My problem is that he says the $17. is for the deposit. Deposits are paid before the fact. There is then an additional payment or payments.
    I would write out a document stating what was agreed and what was paid, listing the dates if you can. and have both of you , Woman (the owner of the dog) and you and/ or your hubby (new owner) In front of a notary. It costs about $8.00
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:07 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Sense the dog is now your. I would not pay it. If you do. When you hand over the money. Say "that is all you are getting from us".

Answer by louise2 at 1:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• We probably will just pay it but I have a weird vibe from them. Im getting my pup registered to my name and micro chopped asap.

Theyre oddly obsessed with these puppies.

When they dropped him off which I wish I woukd have said against it because now they know where we live. But they asked for "us to maybe sometimes send them pictures and maybe they can come visit him..."

Uhm no . Cause you guys are being creepy now.

They seem like they would be the type to ask for the puppies back
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Yea, that sound creepy to me to. Go get the puppy. Chipped and registered, now.

Answer by louise2 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• after the fact?

NO.... tell them too bad. That going back and forth thing is terrible for the puppy!! They are scamming you. Tell them transaction is done... they need to stay away so the puppy can adjust. Let thme know you will be more then happy to call the cops if they show up at your house unannounced. Done!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 1:37 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• When we got our GSD the owner contacted me A Lot via FB it was odd, she even wanted to Skype with the dog!!!! I sent her pics twice and did the Skype once and then deleted her.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:02 PM on Oct. 14, 2013