how do I get my 9 month old daughter eat solids more?

She doesn't want to take milk from a bottle, so I have to rely on solids apart from breastfeeding. She used to eat everything we give her but lately she's very picky and at some point even refusing to eat anything spoonfed. I tried to give her fingerfood but because she's still learning, most of the food went to the floor not her mouth. Any advice in how to get to eat from spoon again? Please?

Jeane G.

Asked by Jeane G. at 3:31 PM on Oct. 14, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't force it. Offer her different things frequently but if she refuses let it go. Try again in an hour or so. If she gets hungry-she will eat.

Also try breastfeeding a little- then offering food then letting her go back to the breast .
    Anonymous

• She is 9 months old. The food will go on the floor and that is okay. Let her practice with easy stuff like puffs, cheerios and peas. Blueberries are good too but they get messy. Such a fun age. Food before 1 is just for fun so let baby have fun. My kids hated being spoonfed.
    MoonFox4

Answer by MoonFox4 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• If this is a sudden change in eating habits then I wonder if she is well. Is her nose a bit stuffy? Has she been a bit fussy? she may not be feeling up to eating off a spoon right now. However as long as she is taking the breast milk she is getting all the nutrition she needs. Just keep offering foods and don't try t make her eat it. Then you turn it into a power struggle.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• At nine months old they know their body better than you. They will actually stop eating when they are full. So don't force it. That new tummy is only about the size of her own fist. It doesn't take a lot to fill it. When she is acting hungry again offer food first then breast milk.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:44 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• You don't need to. Solids are an extra still; stick with the finger foods because purees aren't needed. As long as she's still nursing she's fine.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• She might be teething and that's why she changed her eating habits.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:57 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Just keep giving her finger foods and sweeping up afterward. She'll get the hang of eating, but the last thing you want to do is make this a battle of wills now because that stubborn behavior could be hard to get past later. Remember, too, that her tummy is only about the size of her closed fist, so what we would see as a nibble is pretty much a full meal for her.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Wow, thanks mums! Really good support and advice you gave. I will try them all :)
    Jeane G.

Comment by Jeane G. (original poster) at 10:59 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Don't worry. My now 10 1/2 month old REFUSED anything off a spoon! She wanted to feed herself, and yes, most of it did end up on the floor. She's still doing great, and getting more in her mouth instead of on the floor ;) But she'll now take being spoon fed every now and then.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 2:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2013