My son is 8 to be 9 next mount. When he is being disciplined for something done wrong. I always give him a chance for explanation, he resorts to covering his ears.

ltoliver

Asked by ltoliver at 3:34 PM on Oct. 14, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• depends on what he is doing... warnings, time outs and privilege loss generally works well.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Your question is?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Do you mean you give him a chance to explain himself, or you try to explain the situation to him?

My guess is he covers his ears to keep from hearing you talk, or he covers his ears when you are telling him to explain himself in order to block out the instructions.

Chances are (either way) that he is frustrated, intimidated and/or overwhelmed. If he doesn't know what to "say for himself" or feels hopeless/ashamed of the situation, he will want to tune out having to "talk about" it. It's the same if he feels hopeless--if he's certain that you won't be pleased or satisfied no matter what he says. Conflict is stressful.

If my kid were doing that, I probably would verbalize my best guess about the situation. Just reflect back what you imagine the behavior is communicating. (All behavior is communication.) Make it an acknowledgment: "Looks like you don't want to talk about this," or "You don't want to hear this right now."
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• What exactly is your question? It sounds so normal. There is no question mark in the above statement so thanks for sharing.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• OK
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 6:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• I would probably just wait him out. Say something like, "I can tell you don't want to discuss this right now. That's fine: you can sit there till you're ready."
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:14 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Thank you all for your response.
    ltoliver

Comment by ltoliver (original poster) at 10:24 AM on Oct. 15, 2013