Do you know the law well? (Pennsylvania)

I called the state police dept (not 911) and talked to one of the officers concerning 2 parents who abuse and neglect their children...I told them about the unsafe and filthy abandoned camper they live in in the woods...I asked to remain anonymous but he demanded my name in order to check it out. I gave him my name, number and address...I asked him not to tell them my name because they are the type of people who would harm me and my children. I am still worried though, is it ok for them to just tell the people my name or any info about who called on them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Oct. 14, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I can't tell you for Pennsylvania's law but I can tell you what I know based on Georgia laws. I actually teach a Mandated Reporters Training class twice a month. When you make a report (whether mandated or not), you have certain rights. You have the right to anonymity. The police will not tell them that you are the one who reported it, however, that doesn't mean that the people you reported won't figure it out on their own. There is also the possibility that if this goes to court, depending on what you have witnessed, you may be subpoenaed to testify. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• I've had to make two anonymous police reports where I live, and as a disabled person who might be vulnerable, I inquired about keeping my identity a secret. Police are supposed to respect requests for anonymity, but like JeremysMom said, people often figure out who has reported them, and court subpoenas ar something different altogether. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:54 PM on Oct. 14, 2013