i babysit a 4 yo and 1 yo for 6 hrs/day 5 days/wk. i do lite cleaning like laundry and dishes too. what should i be charging?

memrbell

Asked by memrbell at 4:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2013 in General Parenting

• The way that you are wording this sounds like you are already doing it so you should be charging what you and the parent agreed upon.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:21 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Are you ASKED to do the cleaning/laundry or do you just do it?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Sorry-I know the wording was awkward. I will be babysitting for them soon and they have asked that I help with the light cleaning.
    memrbell

Comment by memrbell (original poster) at 5:00 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• When my SIL did this (with babysitting, light cleaning, and laundry), but without boarding, she made $10 an hour. I would get on care.com to see what the average asking price is for your area.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• I agree with the above post ^ charge the going rate in your area.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• I wish I knew what going rates were for that. The best I can do is bump your question. Hopefully someone who is a nanny in a similar situation can help give you some insight.

I do think you might need to give a few more details though.

What is light cleaning? Picking up after the kids such as washing the dishes they use, picking up the toys they use, their spilt milk?
    Or are you going to be doing light cleaning around the house for the whole family? Laundry are you washing kids laundry or the whole family?

Good luck hope someone has insight
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 7:06 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• sittercity.com is another place to check. It varies by where you live.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:26 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• $10/hr and she is family? Yikes, that seems a bit expensive to me.

Back when my kids were little, I paid $20 a day for all 3 of mine but it was a relative that watched them. I also provided food.

Way back when I was babysitting, I charged a dollar an hour per kid and cleaning was part of babysitting. As far as cleaning up after the children and myself (including dishes but I didn't do laundry)

I agree you need to find out what the rate is in your area. Care.com is an excellent source.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 7:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• I'd probably go with like 150ish a week
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:52 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Well The older the child the less. A 4m may be alot of work but cant really mess up the house.. a one year old can but you can also give activities so he or she will behave.. if relatives maybe 40$ a day. If friends 60$ a day for both kids. Its up to you though
    mellyTwins

Answer by mellyTwins at 10:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2013