Do you have a friend like this?

so last week a friend of mine that i've known for almost 15 years stayed with us for a week. the first day she was here she criticized our food choices. my kids love to eat fruit, and they'd already consumed apples and oranges at snacktime and wanted another apple but i told them no because we'd be eating dinner soon. her comment was "plus apples have a lot of sugar" really? i didn't see her eat a single morsel of fresh produce the entire week she was here. all she ate was special k bars, and the fruit she ate was from fruit cups, which are swimming in syrup and sugar! then i was making a salad from a bagged American salad blend, and she said "you know iceberg lettuce is the worst kind of lettuce you can eat right?" jesus! i felt like punching her in the throat lol. atleast i ATE a salad. would that have bothered you too or am i being sensitive?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2013 in Relationships

• Not a friend, but a co-worker. So annoying.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• oh and then.... i made banana bread, and all of us eat it right out of the loaf pan as is. she on the other hand douced her slice in a crapload of butter. and then she adds salt and other seasonings to all the food after ive already cooked it and used salt and everything else in it. its annoying because she thinks she knows what's healthy when she clearly has no clue, which is fine, but i don't like being judged what i feed my kids especially when we make healthier choices than she does.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• It probably would have bothered me a little too. It's likely I would have said something about her eating fruit cups with sugar and not eating any salad as opposed to eating none. In fact, the syrup that her fruit was sitting in was very likely highly processed if it was sugar at all. Better to get the sugar naturally than through the chemistry experiment that was her fruit salad. 

And FWIW, while there might not be that much nutritional value to iceberg lettuce, it's still pretty good to snack on.  I like to put tuna or chicken salad in a leaf and eat it like a burrito.  LOL.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:17 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• oh that actually sounds really good quinn!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• If you are a guest in someone's house, you do NOT bitch about their hospitality.

The ONLY time it might be ok is if there were allergies. Even then, that should be more of a polite request/reminder.

I don't know if I could have kept my mouth shut on all her crap.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:36 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Well, you know Special K bars are soooo much better for you right, because the commercials say they help you lose weight. :P That would be annoying.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 5:39 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Yeah, I would have been annoyed, but I also would have some smart ass come backs for her. You don't bitch about someone else's food when you are a guest in their home.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 5:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• I would never say things like that when I'm someone's guest, unless it was something that could actually affect my or my kid's health. Even if I didn't agree with what you made, I'd go along because I'm your guest and it's not my place to say anything.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:57 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• I would've thrown her the pizza coupons! What an ungrateful wench!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:17 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Fish & house guests stink after the first day! LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:20 PM on Oct. 14, 2013