How to fill out Family tree, when your a single parent?

My son was sent home some leaves he needs to fill out for a Family Tree project. It asks to include the students immediate family: grandparents, parents, siblings...I'm a single parent, and my son knows who his dad is, but dad is not involved in his life and neither is his family, so do i still include dad or just my family?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Oct. 14, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• At 7 he should be able to make the choice if he wants o add his father's name or not. Don't push the issue, don't feed him the answer, just sit back and let him choose. Young children tend to have strong feelings about the absent parent even if they *know* a relationship is not there and may never be. I would simply say 'here is the leaf with your dad's name on it, in chase you want to add it. You do not have to if you don't want to but here it is.' Then walk away. If he ask your opinion then you tell him this is his project and only he can make that choice.
    Anonymous

• Looks like you are going to be missing a tree limb ...
    Anonymous

• I feel like maybe add the dad but not paternal grandparents, and if he has paternal half siblings I might add them. How old is your child? Can you ask him what he would like to put on there?
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:29 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• I would let him choose if he wants to add his dads name. His dad is part of his heritage. Let him elaborate on that side of the tree as much or as little as he wants to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:31 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• My son is 7..we only know birthday dad and birthdad's father
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:33 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Fill out what you know.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 5:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Let him decide if he wants to have his dad on the tree or not. He has to decide if dad is part of his family or not.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 5:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• okay...thank you all for the great advice..I will have him decide :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:50 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• I let my son decide what he wanted to do with that assignment when he was in K. He decided to leave him off. When the teacher told me he was going to get an incomplete for not completing it, I told her that I was a single mother and that he chose not to include his absent father. She tried to insist he had to and I explained to her that I would not be forcing my son to include a father who had made it clear he didn't want to be around, whether it was on paper or in person, and if she tried to force the issue, I would go over her head. Problem solved.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2013