Okay, let's bust good kids for doing the right thing ...

High School Punishes Honors Student Erin Cox for Driving Drunken Friend Home From Party

Courtney Nunes, Mon, October 14, 2013

A high school senior in North Andover, Mass., was recently punished for driving her drunken friend home from a party, though she had not been drinking — or even attending the party, for that matter.

Erin Cox, a North Andover High School honor student, received a call from her friend who was too drunk to drive and asked Erin to give her a ride home. Erin agreed to come pick her up after she was off work.

Moments after Erin arrived, the cops showed up. Police began busting several students for underage possession of alcohol.

Police agreed that Erin had not been drinking and was not in possession of alcohol. However, according to school officials, Erin was in violation of the district’s zero tolerance policy against alcohol and drug use.

Erin was later demoted from captain of the volleyball team and was prohibited from playing on the team for five games.

“She’s very fragile and I’m worried about her,” Erin’s mother Eleanor Cox told WBZ-TV on Sunday. “Very worried about her. She didn’t do anything wrong.”

According to WBZ-TV, the Cox family filed a lawsuit in District Court on Friday but a lawyer for the school district argued against any kind of injunction. The judge ruled the court did not have jurisdiction.

The Cox family’s attorney, Wendy Murphy, is attempting to get Erin’s punishment reversed.

“If a kid asks for help from a friend, you don’t want that kid to say ‘I’m sorry I can’t help you. I might end up in trouble at school,’” said Murphy.

Source: WBZ-TV

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/high-school-punishes-honors-student-erin-cox-driving-drunken-friend-home-party

Just for the record, I'm truly disgusted. I'm not so much worried over what the kids I care about will do as teens; I'm worried more lately about the adults who are supposed to be educating them.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 5:40 PM on Oct. 14, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• My husband and I were just talking about this. The girl even got a note/letter from the cops on scene stating that she had done nothing wrong.

Even though she's been demoted as Volleyball Captain, none of the other girls will take the captaincy. They ALL still treat her as the captain.

This is SO fucked up beyond belief.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:10 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• This makes me sad. Schools seem to apply their zero tolerance rules very arbitrarily when it comes to different violations. This girl gets in trouble for doing the right and responsible thing and those that internet bully their peers are somehow not held to the same standards. It makes one think a little differently of our education system and the roles they play in the lives of our youth.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:30 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• UnFuckingBelievable! Would they rather be bringing in extra counselors to deal with the death of a student who made a bad choice, b/c she can't get a ride home?! That is one of the most messed up attempts at logic I think I've ever seen. I really hope her attorney can kick the school's ass!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:48 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• That is wrong on so many levels. So they would rather the drunk girl had driven herself home and possibly gotten in a crash instead of have a sober friend come pick her up. Fucking brilliant. What a bunch of fucking bullshit!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• I read that today!! WTF!?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:42 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Oh, and I'm not real big on frivolous lawsuits and suing just because you can, but I'm GLAD the family is suing the district.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:11 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• So schools can punish you for things you do off school grounds?

Many athletic programs have a no alcohol/drugs contract that the athletes and parents sign before the season. If an athlete violates that contract, they can be punished by the school.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:13 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• its so stupid...how can you go against a zero tolerance alcohol/druge USE policy if you didnt use drugs or alcohol?! i hope she wins her case. i wished they'd included how many students that were drinking at the party got in trouble w/ their schools...bet its not many.

also, ya gotta keep in mind this is the Administration of the school that did this, not the teachers. often these kinda situations are done by superintendents who dont even know the students and just want to make examples of them. i bet this girl's teachers are just as angry about this as her family is, especially since she's an honor student.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:30 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 5:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• That's fucked up!
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 7:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2013