My baby has a rash on her face

I cannot get any good info off my Internet searches. Baby is 11 months and the rash is on her cheek and down one side of her neck.

What should I be looking for? When does a rash need treatment?

I gave her like a teaspoon, probably not even that much just a lick of my straw, of a homemade smoothie earlier that had blueberries, bananas, organic yogurt and almond coconut milk in it. I feel awful now wondering if that is causing the reaction. We were also outside in the heat for about 10 minutes when it came on.

In the time it took me to type this it has subsided a little, the cheek is just red now.

MoonFox4

Asked by MoonFox4 at 5:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If the smoothie is the only "new" thing, that would most likely be the culprit. It happened. forgive yourself. You'll make many many many many mistakes as a parent. You are participating in the greatest uncontrolled experiment ever.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Thank you. It is almost gone. Parenting is hard stuff, this was my first rash experience and I was so scared it was ridiculous! I think she will be just fine. No more coconut or almond that's for sure!
    MoonFox4

Comment by MoonFox4 (original poster) at 6:16 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• It very likely is an ingredient in the smoothie. It happens. We had to be VERY careful with my daughter when we first started her on solids. Almost any of the Gerber fruits we gave her, and the sweet potatoes, she'd take a couple of bites and develop a rash at her temples. Within 10 minutes it would go away. We had to hold off on fruits, unless it was fresh fruit, for a few months because of those rashes. We even tried to get her allergy tested, but because the symptoms were so mild, and varied, we really couldn't do much. I firmly believe that if we had just kept feeding her the fruits, ignoring the rashes, she probably would have food allergies now. She's 6 1/2 now and has zero food allergies.

Just keep a close eye on her to see if you can isolate what is making the rash develop, and how long it takes to go away. Then, when you KNOW, be careful. :)
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2013