Not sure if my water just broke?! It's too early and I'm weirded out. Called the doc and I'm waiting for a call back but would like some opinions

I was sitting in the recliner and I coughed really hard and felt like I peed a little which isn't out of the norm for me but then I felt another small gush of fluid and then another trickle.

I went to the bathroom and my panties are soaked and all the way through my pants. I smelled it (gross i know) and my panties smelled like it could have been urine but my pants had no smell at all.

I'm only 32 weeks pregnant and don't know what to make of this. How would I know if it was my water?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2013 in Pregnancy

• I'm glad you called your dr and hope he calls back soon.

From my experience (I have 3 kids), when your water breaks, you know. There is no guessing or wondering. It's like a rush of fluid.
    I have heard of some women experiencing amniotic leakage but that is rare.

Has there been any further trickles?
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 6:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Hopefully your doctor will call back soon. What I experienced when my water broke was more of a deluge than a trickle, so maybe it was just urine or discharge. I have asthma, and hard coughing can occasionally be a very damp experience for me. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:48 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• I changed my clothes and put on a panty liner and when i was changing I felt another small trickle. I don't know if I'm just leaking urine from the pressure of the baby or what. I really hope the doc calls soon. This just felt strange and I panicked for a minute.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:49 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• My water broke with both of my kids and it was a gush for both. Depending on how low you are carrying and where the water broke, you may only leak fluid when sitting or laying in certain positions. What they will probably want you to do is go have a uring test to make sure there is no amniotic fluid in it. If not, then they may need to do more tests to make sure the baby is fine. They will advise you from there.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• If your Dr doesn't call soon, either call L&D at the hospital or call the nurse line on the back of your insurance card.
    QuinnMae

• This is when you take a visit to the hospital. They do a simple test on your fluids. Don't be shy. Just go.
    MoonFox4

Answer by MoonFox4 at 7:51 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Well I put on a liner and had a huge gush again and it was DEFINITELY urine lol So I think I'm okay...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:53 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• You could always run to the urgent care or to the emergency room and the will be able to tell you if you are leaking or not. I had what I thought was little gushes of urine with my son and thought maybe it was him on my bladder. I went to my doctor's office to be checked and water broke as soon as I entered exam room.
    crnorth

Answer by crnorth at 7:56 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Frankly I would just go to the ER
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:24 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Leaks *can* happen. I got one after my amnio because I didn't stay off my feet as I'd been told. But the next day, no problems. Doc did an ultrasound and said there was no indication of a problem and the sac must have re-sealed itself.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2013