Teens smoking?

If you found out your 16 year old has been smoking for the past year and has hid it from you, would you allow them to smoke at home? My sister just found out her dd has been smoking and has grounded her for a month. (Even though my sister is a smoker.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 PM on Oct. 14, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• I smoke (unfortunately) and my 16 year old smokes now. Once they become hooked, no amount of punishment is going to work and it will only drive a wedge between the mom and the daughter. I don't like the fact that my dd smokes but I just hope she decides to quit on her own. No easy answer to this.
    GarysWife1991

Answer by GarysWife1991 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• I would do exactly as your sister has done. The fact is, her DD is breaking the law and your sister is not.
    I smoked from about 13 to 20. It was not illegal. My DH has finally switched to an Ecig but has not smoked in the home since I was pregnant with our first child. His choice. I "know" my kids tried cigarettes and know one smoked and still smokes and ecig. He was not allowed to smoke. If I found them I broke them and trashed them. If he smoked elsewhere that was on him.

Not your kid? Not your business.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• I would have a hard time grounding my kid for doing something I'd done in front of her often. I'm not a smoker, and since my daughter and I both have asthma, I wouldn't allow smoking in my home. I wouldn't buy cigarettes for an underage person. But I don't think I could go as far as punishing a kid for picking up a bad habit directly from me.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:48 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• sticky situation but smoking at 16 is no good. No offense to present day smokers (having formerly smoked myself briefly) but once you see an older person literally dying from COPD and cancer, you see it is an awful way to decline...coughing and spitting up chunks, etc. Not cool or fun at all.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:02 AM on Oct. 15, 2013

• I told my kids when they were around 11, that if they wanted to smoke, it was their choice, but they would not be allowed to smoke in the house and I wasn't going to support their habit.

They are now 16 and almost 21 and neither of them have ever smoked!

I'm a smoker btw.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:58 AM on Oct. 15, 2013

• No, I would not allow them to smoke. But then I'm not a smoker - if my kids start smoking I'll smell it on them the first time they try it.

Answer by missanc at 6:21 AM on Oct. 15, 2013

• grounding her won't accomplish anything...

I would not allow them to smoke at home, no.
    but would I punish them? no
    especially if it's already been a year. At that point there isn't much you can do -I mean you can't MAKE them stop and they will still do it away from you so...
    I'd just talk about health issues, the way it stinks and whatnot and tell ehr to really consider quitting, but ultimately, she has to WANT to quit
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:34 AM on Oct. 15, 2013

• There's absolutely no way that would happen in my home. I don't smoke and I'm hypersensitive to the odor. I would smell it on her before she walked in the door. That said parents who smoke, have children who smoke. They learn by example. I laughed when I read that she was grounded for the same thing her mother does. Too late now the teen is addicted. No, I would not allow it in my home.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:22 AM on Oct. 15, 2013

• Not all smokers have children who smoke!!!! Yes kids learn by example but not everyone will do it just because!! Ex my grandpa smokes my aunts And uncles do not. my mom smokes an my dad use to my 2 brothers smoke and my sister do. I however do not!
    I would punish my kids for smoking underage and I would not allow it at my house nor would I buy any for them!!
    Btw yes I've tried smoking it's gross and can't stand it...
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 9:19 AM on Oct. 15, 2013

• I smoked for many years off and on, but have been smoke free for the past 5 yrs. Hubby smokes a pipe, and smoked cigarettes for many years, but only the pipe now for the past 5 yrs.

Our boys know the consequences if we find out they've tried it, or actively smoke. They know that my Mom died of cancer (from smoking for 40 yrs), and I had a scare 5 yrs ago that helped me decide to quit.
    I don't care who you are, you're NOT allowed to smoke in our house. Our boys aren't allowed to hang out with kids that make bad decisions. Chances are if they're smoking cigarettes, they've tried, or are currently smoking dope. I'm not assuming this, I've lived it. Every friend I ever had growing up that smoked cigs, also smoked dope.
    We hold our boys to a certain standard, and we also want them to realize that their health is #1, and to have respect for their bodies, and what they put in it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:50 PM on Oct. 15, 2013