Bogas ovarian cyst diagnosis?

I had a vaginal hysterectomy 6 weeks ago. The doctor left both ovaries so I wouldn't have to take hormones. Two weeks after my surgery I got an infection in my belly. I had a very aggressive antibiotic treatment and the infection cleared up. Yesterday, I started having a sharp pain in the right side of my belly, level with my belly button. The pain increased throughout the day and got to where I couldn't even stand up straight. It radiated into my back and made me sick to my stomach and I had diarrhea. After speaking with a nurse, I went to the ER where they drew blood, tested urine, did an ultrasound and a CT scan. The diagnosis? A very small ovarian cyst. Take some pain medication and go home. I have had cysts for 15 years and NONE of them have ever hurt like this. Even with the pain medication, my pain level is at a 7 1/2, sometimes higher. Any insight??

MamaFerg83

Asked by MamaFerg83 at 11:16 PM on Oct. 14, 2013 in Health

• I have had them an my DD had them a lot and they felt very similar to what you describe. Since they drew blood they could tell the difference from a cyst and a UTI which it also can be like or a Kidney stone.
    I did not even qualify for stone status and was told I had gravel (tinier than stones) and thought it was pretty bad.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• Can you go back to the doctor who did the hysterectomy, instead of the emergency room? In my experience, some of the staff there--it's a generalization, not all of them are like this--seem to want to pat you on the head and send you home.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:45 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• I've had ovarian cysts and a vaginal hysterectomy that left my ovaries. A cyst I had after hysterectomy hurt like a mo fo! I always thought it was bc my ovaries and abdominal area were already sore from the hysterectomy and the cysts just hurt more bc they were sore to start with. Maybe????
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2013

• I will be calling my OB/GYN tomorrow, but even he doesn't like to give any answers. I had to force him to do an exam when I got the infection, we are in a very small town with no options for second opinions, and the doctors here have a very bad track record for mis diagnosing and ignoring actual problems. They just want to give you a pain pill and send you home, then when you go back they accuse you of just trying to get more pills. They tend to avoid solving problems.
    MamaFerg83

Comment by MamaFerg83 (original poster) at 12:27 AM on Oct. 15, 2013

• Then my answer is to travel to the next largest town and go there.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:00 AM on Oct. 15, 2013

• You had them before, but maybe this one burst where the other ones didn't. I've had them over the years, and the only time they've ever bothered me is when they burst (3 of them have), and that hurts like hell. I think labor and delivery was less painful than what I felt when the cysts were bursting.

If you think they're wrong, you should certainly get a second opinion. I would think, too, that if it is the cyst and it is from it bursting, it should stop soon (probably by the time I'm typing this answer, based on when you posted the question). So if it continues, that would tell me it might not be a cyst either, especially if it's a small one.

Good luck and I really hope you feel better soon!
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:16 AM on Oct. 15, 2013

• Sound like you need to go out of town to find out what is going on.

Answer by louise2 at 8:22 AM on Oct. 15, 2013