Are there really people out there that don't know that special needs kids attend school?!

We've gotten the question,"Does he go to school?" asked about my son with autism,several times
I always fight the urge to say, "nah,we keep him chained up in the basement during the day"
I'm REALLY hoping they mean public school vs. homeschooling,but I wouldn't bet on it

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 9:52 AM on Oct. 15, 2013 in Special Needs

• My sons schools ALWAYS had Special Needs kids in their classrooms! That was over 20 years ago.
    I can't imagine people not aware of this.

KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 10:26 AM on Oct. 15, 2013

• "I always fight the urge to say, "nah,we keep him chained up in the basement during the day""

See, I would probably just say it. How infuriating to have people actually ask you that! I've noticed two things about people nowadays, 1) they live in their own little bubble and rarely know anything about the world around them, and 2) most people are just plain stupid.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 15, 2013

• Oh, they're out there, and I hate to tell you, it never freaking ends. As an adult, I've been asked in surprise if I could give my own legal consent to enter into a mortgage contract. My check has been denied at a popular mainstream clothing store because the clerk didn't believe it was real; a blind person couldn't actually have a checking account. You can't fix stupid. I'm sorry; I know how livid you must feel when you encounter stupid up close and personal.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:40 AM on Oct. 15, 2013

• I might be inclined to wonder that about kids that have severe sensory issues, just because there may be too much going on at school to make it a calm enough environment so they can focus. I would assume that the kids that don't go to school are home schooled though. Honestly, the more I read about schools and their policies, I'm surprised homeschooling isn't more popular.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:19 AM on Oct. 15, 2013

• We had special needs kids in our classes when I was a kid, and I graduated hs in 1982! My kids went to school with special needs kids and I have no reason to assume we have suddenly stopped educating kids regardless of their needs
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 10:37 AM on Oct. 15, 2013

• People are just stupid. I would just go ahead and say what you feel next time. Stupid and rude!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• *for all kids, not just special needs kids.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:20 AM on Oct. 15, 2013

• I would assume they me public school as opposed to a specialty school. Not so common now but that was pretty standard if they went to school at all when I was growing up.
    It is not the so distant past.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:19 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• Yes, there are people who are that ignorant.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• Honestly, many of those people probably think "wow, is he able to go to school?" Most think of Autism as drooling in a corner and completely incapable of anything. It's unfortunate ignorance...

saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 7:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2013