How to handle potty training regression?

My little boy was on the verge of being completely potty trained. The only accidents that we had were poop (that's the hard part). He was even staying dry at night. Now he doesn't seem to know that he has to go until he's gone. He's even stopped laying down for his nap unless he is in the pack 'n' play. It's almost like he just wants to be a baby again. Nothing in his life has changed. No new kids, no babies, not day care, no arguing, no new jobs. everything that was working not longer has any effect, and no consequence is bad enough. I feel bad he is just as stubborn as his mama, but my mom isn't around to ask for advice. I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm going to go crazy. Any advice will be helpful.

aridgeway

Asked by aridgeway at 1:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's normal to regress or have days filled with accidents. Just keep doing what you've been doing and he'll get back in the swing of it.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:25 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• It is very normal for toddlers to want to revisit babyhood. When they were babies, they were loved, taken care of, and no one expected them to be "big kids". They didn't have to wait patiently, they weren't punished for throwing a fit.
    What to do? Take him to the potty on a set schedule and don't make a fuss when he has an accident. Have him help clean up and move on. Once he sees that (1) you love him even when he has an accident and (2) he's still expected to use the potty, he'll move on too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:20 PM on Feb. 19, 2009