Girl Scouts

This is my daughter's first year with a new Girl Scout troop, although third year in Girl Scouts. We had an outing at a pumpkin patch on Sunday where the girls all had lots of fun. Toward the end, quite a few of us went through the corn maze. There are signs all over the place as you enter to leave corn alone, not pick corn, stay on path, etc. As we entered, the leader started handing out little snack baggies for the girls to collect corn kernels. Also the leader kept leading kids off the path and into the corn. We did not allow our daughter to do either because we believe she should learn to follow rules, not follow what the crowd is doing.

But I am very upset that the leader would encourage the children to break rules. It seems petty, but isn't her job as a leader teaching them to be honest, strong, helpful, and respect authority, not just snub rules and do what you want? Should I say something to her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes and I would have pulled her aside at the time of the outing.
    You may wish to find another troop.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:53 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• Did the other parents say anything to her?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:25 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• I would not have let my daughter openly ignore the posted rules, which are there for a reason, and I definitely think it's worth saying something to the leader. Try to word it without using accusatory statements that will make her defensive, but keep focused on your concerns.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:05 AM on Oct. 16, 2013