You know,I'm really getting sick of having to post Snopes verifications for all the crap my Republican friends post on FB

Why would you purposely forward lies and hatred? Does no one have a skeptical bone in their body anymore?
I like it when I'll even email them verifications from reputable sources,and they'll still stick with the article from the Enquirer.....

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 2:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I said same thing last night. In fact I screamed it at this one friend that posts the lies every hour! Ugh.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 3:07 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• Well, not to give much credit to the Enquirer, but they did break the John Edwards love child story.

Anyhow, I'm conservative and I have a family member that does the same thing. It bothers me because doing things like that just make a whole segment of the population look bad. Both sides have their whack jobs, but it would be nice to be able to disown the ones personally connected to us. At least you can just unfriend someone on your FB.

Honestly though, I don't think most people read conflicting or even neutral sources sometimes to find commonalities in a story.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• You consider snopes a "reputable source"?

Answer by missanc at 3:37 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• Funny, because I see a lot of democrats posting crap daily... they are the only ones I see posting political crap... UGH!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• Not to put too fine a point on anything (there's a LOT of he said/she said online anymore), but I do remember seeing something recently saying that Snopes is as big of a hoax as a lot of the things it's trying to confirm/deny, that the owners of the site did little to no research on the topics presented.

I think we ALL (generic) need to get a HUGE dose of skepticism back into our lives.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:22 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• And whats sad, many people read this and panicked.

What's sadder- there are millions of people about to be bent over without lube by Obamacare, legitimately, within the actual bounds of that law, and they're being overshadowed by the lies.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:00 AM on Oct. 16, 2013

• I've seen tons of those recently. Even a dumb pic one that lists Obama as a "foreign student". Sigh....still holding on to the foreign birth certificate thing.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• If it's one person, I let it go. If it pops up 5 or 6 times, I post the true version without directly calling anyone out. The one that irritated me the most recently wasn't political, though. It was that hoax picture of the football player's son that lied and said he asked people to do it, when it wasn't even a picture of the right child.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

Snopes provides links. If you're not capable of clicking their links and reading them to verify the accuracy yourself, you have no business criticizing the accuracy of snopes.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• In general many people (not all of course) will believe anything that supports their position and anything vilifying the opposition. And this goes for Republicans, Democrats, and all other flavors.

I have a FB friend who regularly posts such things, frequently they are flat out lies, so whenever I see any political/ event based stuff from her, I just hide it.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 15, 2013