Is it possible to develop asthma during pregnancy?

Im 6 months and a few weeks along and sometimes i find myself trying to catch my breath...is it possible that i have developed asthma in the pregnancy? and if so, will it go away after i give birth?

CollegeMommy89

Asked by CollegeMommy89 at 2:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2013 in Health

• Yes. It's called pregnancy induced asthma and it's horrible. I was hospitalized many times because of it. Make sure you only get treated for it by your OB. Don't go to your family doctor for it. I did once and they gave me the wrong type of breathing treatment.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 3:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• You should really ask your Dr. ASAP. Shortness of breath could also be a problem with your heart among many other things.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:06 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• Oh goodness! Yes i will def do that
    CollegeMommy89

Comment by CollegeMommy89 (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• I don't know. I DO know that as baby grows, there is less and less room for everything, so organs and such get jammed together. I know with both of mine, at about 6 months and on I had a hell of a time catching my breath. I just thought it was due to lack of space.

I DO have sports induced asthma, but it's only ever bothered me when the weather gets cold.

Definitely a great question for you OB.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• With all your other organs being smooshed upward there is less room for the lungs to expand resulting in the shortness of breath. Have you doctor check you out to be sure and to give you treatment options.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2013