Any noncustodial parents ever just give up?

50/50 time share. Entire past 8 years has been a mess with BM, always games and bad mouthing. Child is now 14 and doesn't like being disciplined at Dads house so she claims physical abuse and says she hates living there. Mother is withholding visitation based on false abuse allegations. Anyone ever just give up? She doesn't want to be there, won't listen and claims she hates everything about him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Isn't the 14 yo, old enough to legally diside on her own? To visit or not?

Answer by louise2 at 7:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• At 14 she can choose not to visit any more; if she hasn't made that choice either she's very sadistic or she doesn't really want to be given up but needs more help than she's gotten. Counseling would be in order.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• Well, I'm not a non-custodial parent, so I guess I can't say for sure what I would d in that situation. But I do know that when it comes to my child, all the demons in hell couldn't make me walk away, and I wouldn't give up if I hadn't exhausted every possible option and then some.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:09 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• No. A parents job is exactly that. To never give up.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:34 AM on Oct. 16, 2013

• California, you have to be 18 to legally decide.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:14 AM on Oct. 16, 2013

• NO
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• You see the thing about being 14 is all the anger you have been holding on to since you were little plus the need for freedom combine and you have a time bomb. You will say and do anything to get what you think you want and hurt anyone during the process. The parents job is to back off a bit give the teenager time to figure out stuff and help guide the child with out controlling them. If the child doesn't want to go then let the consequence of that sink in eventually they will see the light but it might take years! But giving up on anyone is week!

pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 10:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2013

• Yes, I had custody of my oldest and I swear it felt like i was fighting a battle that i could never win no matter what i did it was always wrong i did the best that i could i was stuck in a state with no family support the guy i was married to was very abusive when i was married to him and even when we where not married then he got remarried and i got the abuse not only from him but also from his wife it was terrible The law couldn't even help I had two other children i had to worry about there safety so i gave all right and moved away no my ex husband won't even let me talk to my son and have anything to do with him. i miss him with all my heart but i could not put my other children safety or mine anymore i was never happy or felt i could relax until i move away and now i pray and wait until my son show up on my front door. or become rich so i can afford a good lawyer.
    nuthousemom143

Answer by nuthousemom143 at 10:22 PM on Oct. 27, 2013