what should i do?!?!

my dd is getting really bad with hitting and scratching and biting and pinching. i dont know how to get her to stop. ive tried every form of punishment and she finds them FUNNY. im ready to lose my mind. anyone have any suggestions??

xhellxfirex495

Asked by xhellxfirex495 at 1:41 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• others may disagree but with all 4 of my kids, I bite/pinch back. not hard enough to break skin/bruise but hard enough to get their attention and they know it hurts.
    I've only had to bite/pinch each of the 4 at most 3 times before they stopped it completely.
    Anonymous

• Just keep at it momma! My DD went through that phase too. It's horrible and can be very embarrasing. I feel for you!
    Samanthasmom210

Answer by Samanthasmom210 at 1:42 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• everytime she does it tell her no and put her on time out and let her know your not happy that she is doing it .
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 1:43 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Honestly, I have no suggestions, but am happy to know I am not the only one getting pinched, scratched, bitten & hit. I pray it's a phase (he's almost 2 and been doing it since about the same age as your little girl). We are foster parents to our little guy, he's been here almost his whole life, and we aren't allowed to hit/pinch/bite back, or spank for that matter. I have tried time outs, acting like I am so hurt, or so sad, or so shocked (many suggestions from here on previous questions) but to no avail. He isn't too verbal yet, so it's his only way of expressing, frustration, anger, hurt, etc at this point. I hope we have more options when he can talk, or that he'll grow out of it when he can talk. There is a book called, The Happiest Toddler on the Block that you could check into. He has very unique advice, getting down on their level & listening, etc. Maybe that would work. This too shall pass---hopefully! :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:23 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I agree with britme1027, those offenses require a time out. Take her to another room, say "No X" then sit her down and stay with her (but with your back to her if you can). At the end repeat "No X", give her a kiss and move on. The rule of thumb on time is one minute per year of age. Before age 3 they're still on the young side to even really understand the whole time out concept so you have to stay with them and stick as close to the time limit as you can. By age 3 she should understand the concept and be able to go sit on her own (but still be where you can see/hear her) for 3 min.
    Consistency is key. If she gets the same consequence she'll learn.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:24 PM on Feb. 19, 2009