Food Stamp craze.............

I heard on the news. That, I think it was in Louisiana.  That at Walmart the food stamp card/program  went awire.  People found out they had unlimited money on their cards. And they went and bought tons of food.

Did any one hear about that?

What would you have done? If you had a food stamp card and could do what they did?

Asked by louise2 at 7:40 PM on Oct. 15, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Presumably it will be handled the same way it is in every case where people use fs they aren't entitled to - they're required to pay it all back to the state, with penalties depending on the state.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• Yet more proof that people truly are stupid.

There's no way in hell I'd go out and attempt to buy several cartloads of groceries... I'd be terrified of having to pay that all back once I was caught.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• I heard about that.it was 2 cites in LA. People had 10 carts all stocked full. When the glitch was fixed they just left the carts sitting there. Took workers almost 2 days to re stock the shelves.

They are thieves IMO, and need to be prosecuted.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 7:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• They should lose all be edits for life & be charged with theft.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 7:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• I didn't hear anything about it, but those people who took advantage of the situation are stupid. They will catch up to them since they used their own cards. They have records about how much each card should get each month. If they exceeded their limit, they will probably have their benefits suspended & could possible face fraud charges. If that happened, then that was just plain dumb.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• It's people like that that ruin it for people like me who actually need the help.
    No, I don't do drugs. Never have and never will. I don't sell my benefits. I don't use my card to buy lobster or caviar. I work a full time job. I am a single mom (divorced.....HE left me for no good reason) with 3 children. I'm trying to get a better paying job so that I don't need food stamps anymore.
    These people knew what they were doing and should be punished.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 10:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• Oh yes, I have heard quite a bit about it, http://themattwalshblog.com/2013/10/14/ebt-recipients-stole-food-this-weekend-and-every-other-weekend/

Wow, can't decide if he's more of an arrogant fuckwad or just really really stupid. The "middle class" are being robbed? Who the fuck does he think gets food stamps these days?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:53 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• Yes, I read about it and saw video clips of it.

What would you have done?  << about what?  If I were a food stamp user?  If I worked at the store?  If I were the manager of the Walmart?  My answers are all different for each of those options.  My answers are probably vastly different than what happened though.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:57 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• I'd be afraid they would want the money back- so I would stick to the amount I was supposed to get
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• Walmart will have to pay for their food. I doubt anyone will be punished. Too many of them will just say their card was stolen or someone else used it.

staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2013