How to get our 3 almost 4 year old son to go to bed and sleep in his own room

Our son goes to preschool and gets home at 11:30. We feed him lunch and we put him down for a nap after he gets done eating usually that is around 12:30 p.m.. He sleeps for about an hour and then he gets up. When its bedtime we give him a bath put lotion on him that helps him sleep. Some nights we play with him to burn off his energy. We start putting him down for bed at 8:00. During that time he gets up or starts talking or fights us. Also he likes sleeping on the couch or with us, Were trying to get him sleeping in his own room and that process isn't working either. PLEASE HELP!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• does he need the naps? Both of mine stopped when they were 2! (my daughter right at 2 and my son 2 1/2ish)

just put him in his bed at bedtime, and every time he gets up- put him back in there. Kids fight bedtime-it's normal.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• Most of the time he doesn't take the naps he just lays down for quiet time. If he doesn't take the naps he is really crabby and still fights with us and gives us an attitude.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• You're doing the right things, you have to just keep at it. I know my DD likes to get up a couple of times after being put to bed. After two requests, usually water and potty, we tell her she's done, and put her back without talking. It takes time, but now she doesn't ever get up a third time and many times just stays in bed without getting up at all. Hang in there.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2013

• I would keep him up until 9 and then walk him to his bed. Read him a story, softly and put on soft music and dim lights when you are done. If he gets up you march him right back to bed unless it is to potty and then the detour is allowed of course.. It does not matter how many times it has to be repeated.
    If this persists more than 2 weeks start shortening the nap time or cut it out altogether. He should be running and playing outdoors everyday, to help his mind and body to need the rest.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:37 AM on Oct. 16, 2013

• Half of parenting a preschooler is just bullheaded persistence. Keep putting him back in bed. No negotiations,no letting him sleep with you or on the couch. My daughter went through a terrible bedtime battle stage at around that age; I would dread evening because of it. But eventually she either gave up or grew out of it. I'm a bit surprised your son is still napping--maybe try decreasing the quiet time to half an hour a day and see if that helps.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:42 AM on Oct. 16, 2013

• My daughter reads if she isn't tired. I eventually walk past her room and see sleeping beauty.

Just be gentle but firm. Good luck. Bedtime battles are awful.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:28 AM on Oct. 16, 2013

• Take him back to his bed over and over. No talking after the first or second time. Stay calm, loving, and matter of fact. And be prepared for it possibly to take many nights . Allow him to look at books in his room or quietly play with small toys. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:50 AM on Oct. 16, 2013

• Thank You for all of the help.!! We will sure give it a try..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Oct. 16, 2013