3 year old goes to sleep easily, but won't STAY asleep

I woke up in the middle of the night to Dodi knocking on her door. Apparently, she had decided to change her pj's and needed help with the buttons. I put her back to bed & of course, forgot the god forsaken alarm. Fast forward to morning and we find a handful of dog food outside Beau's cage, where I'm guessing she was feeding him a piece at a time. A broken egg in the sink. A butter wrapper on the stove. A bunch of Laffy Taffy & scissors on the floor. Toothpaste paintings on the bathroom sink. And the cord to my laptop unplugged & set up like a tripwire. I think it's time to completely cut out daytime naps so that the little crotchgoblin actually SLEEPS at night.

Has anyone else's kids been like this? I seriously don't know how to get her to stay asleep, and I'm not quite looking at drugging her yet.

BeaverHouse

Asked by BeaverHouse at 9:16 AM on Oct. 16, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think cutting out day time naps might help or moving her bedtime back a little.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:26 AM on Oct. 16, 2013

• Wow, she really had some nighttime adventures! When does she go to bed, and wen does she get up? She still takes naps?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:06 AM on Oct. 16, 2013

• Yeah, I would be cutting out the naps.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:48 AM on Oct. 16, 2013

• If u are going to put her down for a nap, do it before noon. Nothing sweet or full of sugar after 3:00Pm. Make sure she is very active during
    the day. A full stomach and a very warm bath should do the trick.
    Tomeka L.

Answer by Tomeka L. at 12:29 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• Baby gate on her door? (The 10 dollar tension one, pending she doesn't have to go potty a lot at night)
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:34 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• TROLL!! lol. Yikes. Saw that. You got vouched for.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:16 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• The research is really clear: humans do not 'stay asleep.' Everyone (who is not in a coma or drugged into oblivion) sleeps in cycles, passing from falling asleep through deep sleep to dreaming and then waking to a very light sleep, multiple times every night.

When people reach that very light sleep phase, they scan their environment and their bodies to see if they need anything. If they don't need anything, they fall back to sleep without remembering waking --because it's not interesting. Insomniacs are the opposite: they wake regularly through the night with no memory of sleeping and think they haven't. In fact, they often will argue with researchers while watching themselves snoring on tape that they 'didn't sleep a wink.'

If your 3yo woke up, she needed something. The only sensible thing to do about that is meet the need and escort her back to bed.

Daytime napping has no bearing on this.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:27 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• So... I posted this on Mamapedia and have been called a troll. lmao

I asked my mom to cut back on her naps and she got mad, asking when SHE would get to sleep since she works night shift. She has a good point. I guess I just need to be more diligent with the alarm on her door.
    BeaverHouse

Comment by BeaverHouse (original poster) at 12:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• I had to cut out naps for my oldest son when he was that age and also i had to bye him a night light, also make sure he uses the bathroom before he goes to bed my son was to scared to go the bathroom to pee at night so he would stay up holding it and wouldnt tell me until i figured it out....
    kblythe1990

Answer by kblythe1990 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 16, 2013