The stupid! It burns!

We live 3 blocks from the school. We walk to and from school every day.It takes us roughly 5 minutes.
Today my son's teacher asked me if we would be walking this winter "with all the snow and everything"
Umm,yeah? She once again asked if we wanted the bus.
Yeah,because getting him on the bus at 7 am,and having an hour's ride makes so much more sense than walking the SAME 3 short blocks in the winter.
I said,well,we'll just leave a few minutes earlier (and there's such a thing as winter outerwear)
Wow. I never thought I'd see kids so wimpy,or adults thinking that a child walking 3 blocks to school is unheard of.
I commented that when I was a kid,we walked in all sorts of weather. She should know. She's in her late 50's for crying out loud.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 9:30 AM on Oct. 16, 2013 in Just for Fun

• OMG! I so agree. I picked up the kids from school yesterday in carpool. It was raining (not hard, just a sprinkle). They walked every child out of the school under an umbrella, one carload at a time. It took forever and I was there early. I was amazed that they felt that a little rain would melt our delicate little flowers.

When I was their age I was made to walk home in a blizzard. We lived a couple blocks from school, but when I say blizzard I'm not kidding. My mom sent my brother out to bring me a hat and we passed each other on the street without seeing each other it was snowing and blowing so hard. Reality is going to keep hitting younger generations harder and harder if we keep them safely tucked in bubble wrap until they are adults.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:36 AM on Oct. 16, 2013

• Uh yeah, I walked almost a mile to school in 4th grade lol. In the snow, rain, heat.. I'm still here to talk about it. Phew. Glad it didn't kill me lol
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:34 AM on Oct. 16, 2013

• **smh** yeah, if we lived that close to the school, you can bet your booty that we'd be walking, even in the winter!
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 9:33 AM on Oct. 16, 2013

• I walked to school rain shine sleet or snow. We lived too close for bus pick up and my mother never learned to drive and my father left for work before the sun came up.

Sometimes I walk my son to school but once the temps drop too low I drive him. We both do not like spending time in the cold.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:36 AM on Oct. 16, 2013

• I would think you'd be too close for the buss to even pick up where you are...

but you know how some parents are- OVERLY touchy about thier kids, maybe she was just trying to be nice
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:43 AM on Oct. 16, 2013

• *I don't mean YOU ...I mean parents who don't want their kids to suffer ANYthing they deem to be unnecessary (sp?)
    so, she was probably offering / suggesting it in case you were one of them!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:45 AM on Oct. 16, 2013

• I walked through the woods to go to Kindergarten with my neighbors. I wore snow pants when it snowed. It was way more than 3 blocks too. My Mom didn't drive then so that's what we did. Although today, I wouldn't let me Son walk that route to go to Kindergarten. It was a small community & all the Mom's stayed home, Dad's worked & everyone knew everyone. Things have surely changed for the worse. My Son's bus stop is probably farther then your Son's school to walk too. Then he rides a ridiculous amount of time on the bus too. He doesn't get home now until about 4. I miss the old days.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:51 AM on Oct. 16, 2013

• Some people think a kid, especially one with a disability, will melt if he gets touched by a snowflake. It's insane. My parents took a lot of crap for teaching me to walk to school with a white cane and then letting me do it by myself from about the fifth or sixth grade on, but I loved it. I had a real sense of freedom and accomplishment getting myself to and from school independently.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:04 AM on Oct. 16, 2013

• I walked to school all through elementary school. It didn't kill me, no matter what the weather. We just dressed appropriately.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:47 AM on Oct. 16, 2013

• I walked to elementary school in the snow too. Back then no one cared. I did it alone too.

Maybe they get funding for bus riders.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:03 PM on Oct. 16, 2013