Anyone have experience with perimenopause?

What were your symptoms and how severe were they?

Did you have to seek medical attention to treat your symptoms, or did you just grin and bear it?

How long did it last?

I think it's possible that I'm starting to go through this, although I am not feeling that it's necessary to get medical attention since the symptoms I am having are intermittent and inconsistent.  Just curious about others experience.

FTR, I am using this as my excuse to be bitchy or short tempered.  LOL.

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 10:09 AM on Oct. 16, 2013 in Health

• I went through it naturally, and it took several years. There is an excellent book by Dr. Susan Lark that was very helpful to me. It contains a lot of natural things you can do that will help to ease the symptoms. I am 67 so I hope the book is still in print.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:06 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• I am. My Mom went through it early as well. I have night sweats, I'm irritable, I just generally feel like shite most of the time. I just grin and bear it. My Dr. said that I could take something, but I don't want to, so I'll just deal with it, and hope my family can handle it...

I had the novasure (ablation) procedure about 4 yrs ago, so I don't have any bleeding anymore, but I have all of the other symptoms, and it sucks...I'm thinking about asking my Dr if I can have my ovaries removed....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:39 AM on Oct. 16, 2013

• might be?

I have never ever had periods that come early or late it's been every 24 days for 16 yrs -but in the last 8 months or so I have had two that came early. UGH
    other than that...nothing that I've noticed really...kinda hot sleeping maybe? not sure if that's related at all -but I am not normally one to be hot so...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:41 AM on Oct. 16, 2013

• My hormone levels have been tested and proclaimed fine, but I have a lot of the same symptoms as well. Particularly the hot flashes. I've had them off and on since my daughter was born five and a half years ago. I asked my doctor about it at a regular visit, and he kind of blew it off and said to try and get more soy in my diet. Are you taking any prescription medications? A lot of those can have hot flashes and irritability as negative side effects.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:01 AM on Oct. 16, 2013

• I went through menopause for 10 years!

I decided against hormone therapy and suffered through it as well as my DH. :)
    Mood swings, hot flashes etc, It all sucks!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:08 AM on Oct. 16, 2013

• If you're hot flashes make you feel like you're on fire, it's probably premenopausal.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:09 AM on Oct. 16, 2013

• My (self-diagnosed) symptom is that my periods have always been regular almost to the day for years. In the last 4 months it is coming earlier & earlier & much heavier than it has been since I was young. I have been getting night sweats for many years but only in the summer so it may just be the heat. Other than that, I am my same grouchy self as usual.

My MIL swears she never went through the changes & her period just stopped. Well, she may not have realized it but she was a horror to everyone around her. LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:13 AM on Oct. 16, 2013

• Started with night sweats and hot flashes before I even realized it. I thought I was just sick. LOL! My main problem was the over bearing sweating. I took OTC stuff for a year and then finally couldn't stand it anymore. I am now on HRT and it's the best decision I ever made. I cannot stand NOT sleeping and sweating all the time. Oh and my periods stopped overnight. Went from being totally regular to nothing.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:09 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• I figured out how to handle the cyclical moodiness a long time before I got to perimenopause, essentially by realizing that my internal hormone storm is not only no one else's fault, but also no one else's business. I can either handle that all by my self or just keep it to myself.

That said, I'm about 5 years into peri-menopause and have mostly only had night sweats, some changes in my sleeping habits (a period of far more awakeness around 4am than I've ever had before, which is a lovely time to have peace and quiet...), and the odd hot flash during the day, and some chaos in my cycle, generally.

I would never consider taking HRT for any reason: the side effects are too awful to make up for whatever benefits they're selling.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:16 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• Night sweats is the worst for me. So much so that I ended up creating my own line of night sweat sleepwear. Talk about necessity being the mother of all inventions LOL!
    Glamourone

Answer by Glamourone at 5:16 PM on Oct. 17, 2013