Cant believe this.... confused by 1st grade homework

ok so her homework tonight is math and the problems are about clocks and telling time.

each problem shows a clock with only the hour hand and they are to write the time based off of that. most of them, the hour hand is pointing between two numbers.

she kept writing, for example, 10:30, 6:30, 5:30, etc and i made her change them all to 10, 6, 5, etc because there is no minutes hand.

but when we got to the last page it was multiple choice, it showed a clock with the hour hand between the 5 and 6 and the choices were 5, half past 5, 6, or half past 6. so then i got to thinking that maybe she was right and this was how they were teaching them? i think it's pretty stupid to be honest if this is the case. it would make more sense to add in the minutes hand and teach them how to look at a clock correctly... right?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It seems like a big chunk of explanation is missing from that.. I've had to deal with this before, confusing homework, and extremely confused teacher.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 3:25 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• She was right.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:28 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• exactly! the only instructions are: look at the hour hand and write the time. well OK, the hour hand says it's 10, for example, because regardless of if the hour hand is right on ten or somewhere in between that and 11, it's still 10 something lol
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• Your daughter is correct. I've found that 99% of the time if my child tells me they are to do their homework one way that they're usually right.

I still don't get it with the homework though. I have one child in 2nd grade who has NEVER had a spelling word and another in 1st grade that has had spelling words both years. Wonder why the oldest can't spell/read? I said I don't care you're now doing your brothers spelling homework with him every night. We'll know in the next month or so if it helps.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:28 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• Yeah, I would say she was right, but that is stupid as hell.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:29 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• thats another thing, she rarely gets her homework wrong because she's just mimicking whatever way she was taught to do it in class. ugh so confusing!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• That is confusing but she was right- the hour hand moves as the minute hand moves- so if the hour hand is halfway between 10 and 11 the time would be 10:30. Maybe taking a few minutes to look through the entire packet before starting the homework would help. I am not looking forward to that phase of life- I'm not going to know how the teacher is teaching. I wonder if that's how kids get the idea they are smarter than their parents. I remember my mom helping me with homework saying "I just don't know!" etc.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:33 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• yup- I'd say she was right
    they asked for the time based on what they gave... if it was in between- it was in between for a reason
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• that is what confused me, is that i know that the hour hand moves and that it's usually between the numbers when it's half past whatever time, but i couldn't figure out why they would teach it that way to a child. seemed silly to me. glad im not the only one who thinks its confusing lol
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• If the hour hand lies half way between two number it is at the half way mark and therefore thirty minutes into the hour or 10:30.
    Your daughter is right.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:40 PM on Oct. 16, 2013