Pumpkin Walk...or no Pumpkin Walk?

Tomorrow is the Pumpkin Walk for my daughter's Elementary School. (She's in Kindergarten)

She is GROUNDED this week.

Do we go? or not go?
(We didn't go to Story Time at the library last night as per our usual.)

ETA: Her offence: I'm a volunteer programmer at a local community radio station (where my dad is Chairman of the Board of Directors). My dad had given her a cute little portable DVD player if not just so she sit quietly and be occupied for a couple hours so Mama can be on the air. (I started there before she was born, so this is nothing new). There were some markers in the studio for a project. She came into the studio during the show (offence #1) and took markers without permission (offence #2). Then proceeded to not only color on paper (permissible) but ON THE DESK (offence #3 1/2) and ON THE DVD PLAYER including the screen!!! (other half of offence #3). And it wasn't whoopsi scribble off the edge of the paper...it was shapes and letters and numbers on. the. desk. and DVD player. Now at 5 1/2 years old, one is old enough to know NOT to color on shit, right? (offence #4).

So she's grounded for the week, and NO MARKERS for a month, AND (and this was worst of all) she had to apologize to Grandpa for what she did to "his studio" and to his gift. Grounding = no sweets, no playing outside with friends, no videos (PBSKids is OK).

Now, the Pumpkin Walk, as I understand it, is purely social. A gathering of Fredstrom Families, walk around the park, the kids play and run around, and in the end you get hot cocoa and a pumpkin. No charity donation has been asked (yet), and we were not asked to pay a fee...so not a fundraiser. (Library Story Time is also more social/entertainment orientated.)

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 6:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2013 in General Parenting

• Free D! Let her go! (ok, I might be biased here)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:15 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• I do think grounding a kindergartner is a little much (i'd personally take away one thing, like the Story Time), but you're the mama.

I do think that because it is a school event it should be allowed, even with the grounding. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:28 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• A week grounding for a kindergartner seems a bit excessive. What did she do?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• Sorry mamaK no 5 year old should be expected to sit quietly unsupervised for a couple of hours.

This I where you need to ground yourself.

The markers were for projects so to me that sounds as though she has used them before and was trying to keep herself occupied.
    So this fault again lies in your park because you did not give her access but made her break a rule (setting her up)

She should not have marked on things but she is 5. She was bored and maybe a little angry.
    You are asking to much of her. I am sorry. Lift the grounding and have her help clean up her mess.
    All you are doing is showing her that you are mean,
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:12 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• What did she do to deserve such a long punishment? My child is 6 and I've never grounded her more than two days.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 6:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• I am not sure what a Pumpkin walk is in your area.
    Here they are charity events.

If this is an in school activity she should go. If this is like going to the pumpkin patch do not send extra money with her.

I am not a fan of grounding from academic types of activities, like the library but I think you know the situation and the severity of her transgression
    At five I rarely grounded for more than a day or two.

OK I am dying here. What did she do?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:26 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• I prefer to keep grounding an at home thing, so school events and lessons are done as usual. But anything at home gets taken away. Also maybe a babysitter is needed next time, it's hard to expect children to sit around and wait while you do stuff. They get board and do stuff they normally wouldn't do.

pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 8:03 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• Offense #4 is a repeat of offense #3. Offense #3 was coloring on the desk and DVD player and you say "not to color on shit" for #4 - they are the same thing. You're double punishing. Even trying to draw a distinction with "knowing better" - it's still punishing the same thing twice.

You expected a 5 year old to supervise herself while you were on the air - that's not fair. She's 5. There's a reason we don't leave 5 year olds home alone. You need to accept that you are partially responsible for this. I would let her go to the pumpkin walk as a sign that you realize you should have found a better way to supervise her - and that punishing the same offense twice isn't fair.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:53 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

• go. It's a school event so...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:17 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• She has sat quietly (by herself at the studio) countless times before without incident.

And so, of course, she's perfect and should ALWAYS be able to do that then. She's 5! No one said she has no self control, but she's 5! OF COURSE she's going to occasionally make mistakes and misbehave. It's what kids do!

If you already asked her father, then why did you bother to ask us?

God, this place really is getting ridiculous!
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2013