What is a group interview?

I have a job interview. They emailed me saying it would be a group interview. I never heard of this before.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I think several people interview you.
    WifeyandMom71

Answer by WifeyandMom71 at 7:34 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• I did one for a receptionist job once. We sat in a group, they outlined the job, told us some of the particulars of the office, had us fill out a questionnaire, and the met with us individually to ask us a few questions. They let us know they would not be picking someone that day, but promised to phone each of us to follow up.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 6:48 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• It could be one of two things. It could be that they are interview several people at once or there will be a group of people interviewing you. I have done both and they both suck.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:37 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• Those SUCK! You get to stand around with a bunch of other applicants & try to outshine one another. I think it's terrible to put people thru that experience. Personally, I wouldn't want to work for a company that wouldn't take the time to interview people individually. But GL anyway.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• Usually it means you will be interviewed by a panel of people. Often they will have a set script of questions to ask you.

I've been through three panel interviews; got the job in two of them. One was really weird; they handed me the questions while I was in the waiting room! So I was able to sketch out answers.

There is one other type of group interview my husband has done a few times. Again, panels of people, but peppering the applican with lots of rapid-fire questions. Qualcomm uses that method in order to eliminate people; he didn't make the cut.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:01 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

• for where?

My daughter did interviews for Cold Stone and they had a bunch of people that they broke into groups and they had to make up songs and things like that and do little preformance type things...
    then they picked who they liked to go on and talk to managers
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• I think that you will be interviewing with several people :)
    JennaBea

Answer by JennaBea at 7:39 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Good luck. Hopefully, whether you are interviewed by a group of people or with a group of applicants, the process will go well.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:32 AM on Oct. 18, 2013

• Wow, that sucks. I think and agree it should be person to person. This is a job to work with Teen moms, as a social worker.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:18 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Good luck hun
    WifeyandMom71

Answer by WifeyandMom71 at 7:26 PM on Oct. 19, 2013