Recommendations for breast pump brands?

I'm planning to breast feed and I want to buy a breast pump (I'm due in a few weeks). I was set on buying on the brand Medela until I saw the pricing!

Any suggestions other than Medela? Or is Medela worth the extra money?

collegexmamix28

Asked by collegexmamix28 at 8:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you looked at the cost of renting one from the hospital? That might be a little more cost effective for you.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:31 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• What will be the purpose of your pump? Just incase? Back to work?

It all depends on how much you need to use it.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:03 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• Surge is the best milking machine brand out there!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:32 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• Never heard of Surge; can you provide a link, Crafty? Always looking for things to recommend.

OP, no Gerber or Evenflo or First Years. All have poor track records, in some cases breaking before you've used them a month and in other cases causing nipple damage. The least expensive GOOD pump will run you about $100-$150... Ameda Purely Yours.

Now, if you're not going to need to do a lot of pumping, a hand pump like the Medela Harmony or the Avent Isis will serve you well. But if you're going to be using the pump a lot, for exclusive pumping or for full time work or school, don't go cheap. You'll spend as much in replacement pumps as you would for a good one to start with.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• I think manual pumps word better than electric and it's cheaper! I used avent it worked fine for me . The more u pump the more u produce
    Natlaniaiden

Answer by Natlaniaiden at 1:15 AM on Oct. 25, 2013