Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to handle this?

I noticed about a week ago now that someone had backed into my minivan. I guessed it had happened a few days before. I remembered hearing car alarms going off, but didn't think much of it at the time, there are a few that go off regularly in my apartments.

In my complex we have covered parking (think carport type parking) that residents can pay for. The stalls are REALLY skinny and can be hard to park in. I never back in because my car is so big. The vehicle to my right, the car never pulls in.

They put a good sized dent in my rear passenger bumper, and also cracked the light casing. The apartment managers know the vehicle, and which apartment it belongs to. The height of the damage (minor) on that other car matches the height of the damage on mine.

I have a letter written up that I plan on asking the apartments to deliver it and see what happens.

Do I contact insurance? I only have liability.

What's the best way to go about this? Hubby is saying it's all on me and however *I* want to deal with it.

Answer Question

Asked by Rosehawk at 8:27 PM on Oct. 16, 2013 in Home & Garden

Level 40 (116,590 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Is it worth the feud with the neighbor? I am surprised they didn't knock on your door to tell you! It would be obvious if their car had matching damage to yours. What is your insurance going to do about it?

    Personally, I would talk to them myself. But you are pregnant. You need a body guard. No fighting.

    Answer by staciandababy at 8:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

  • I don't know if it would be a feud. They live in the building across the parking lot from me. They may NOT know how to find me to let me know, but a simple call to the office got US the information.

    At the very least I need to get the light casing replaced before it shorts out my lights.

    Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 8:45 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

  • They know how to find you.

    Is your insurance going to replace the casing or are you going to ask them to?

    I would send the husband to their door. Gauge reactions. See how it goes.

    Answer by staciandababy at 8:57 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

  • You can put in an insurance claim naming the other car as the one that hit you but if you didn't see it happen you have no case. It's your word against his/her's. You can make out a police report and see what they say. Other then that there is little you can do if you didn't see it happen. Sounds like you might just be shit-outta-luck. Sorry.

    Answer by Crafty26 at 9:24 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

  • I was going to ask them to, at the very least, replace the casing. I'd like all the damage repaired, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

    Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 11:45 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

  • What a pain in the butt. Don't you wish it was legal to wring the necks of your neighbors?

    Answer by Ballad at 3:37 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

  • I might get to that point. I don't know who this particular neighbor is. I live on one building, and they live in another. I've never actually MET them, so I don't know how big of a jerk they are.......yet.

    Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.