Has anyone been postive for gbs (group b strep test)? adult content

I need some advice to ease my worries. I try to talk with my husband but its like he doesn't care. Im worried that the baby could get an infection after birth. I know during labor I will get IV antibiotics. Im just scared and worried its our first baby. Im due in a few weeks too.

Amber94

Asked by Amber94 at 10:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2013 in Pregnancy

• I've had 3 healthy baby boys, and I was positive for Group B strep each time. With our 3rd son I didn't get there in time to get the antibiotics, because I had him 15 minutes after I arrived at the hospital.... They're 10, 11, and 17 yrs old... The 10 yr old was fine.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:35 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• You will be fine.As long as you know you are GBS+ then the you and the baby will be treated for it. It is when you don't know that there are risks. My friend lost her baby at 24 hours old because the doctor didn't test for it. Her baby was born with a heart defect that the doctor didn't know about before she was born. Neither the heart defect nor the GBS would have been fatal individually, but together they were too much. Since you know, you will be treated for it.
    Lots of moms have GBS and have perfectly healthy babies.
    Try not to worry... it will be okay. Do make sure to go to L&D if you think you are in labor. Don't wait it out at home. You need to get the dosages of the meds before the baby is born.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:35 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• I was tested for it with my 2nd child and was positive. Baby was a week overdue so I was induced. After breaking my water, they started me on pitocin but failed to start the antibiotics. My dr noticed and yelled at the nurse to start it. Then she squeezed the bags (both antibiotics and pitocin) to make sure I got the proper dosage before baby was born. I had contractions the next day.

With my 3rd child, they didn't bother to test since it was assumed that I would still be positive. When I went in to be induced (surprise, surprise this child was also a week late) again, I reminded them to start those meds before even breaking my water.

As long as you and your dr know about this and you get the antibiotics, everything will be fine.

At least your hubby isn't blaming you (my ex-husband said it was my fault that I was positive for this)
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:19 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• My son is 4 now and I tested positive for it when I have birth. He was perfectly fine. I got my anti biotics an everything was good! This is such a common thing now that rarely is there ever an issue that can't be dealt with quickly and efficiently....especially when they know ahead of time.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• I tested pos with my 5th baby. No worries here, they take great care!
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 6:17 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• I was gbs pos with both my pregnancies and went into labor naturally and labored very quickly with my second child. He's a perfectly happy healthy boy. You and baby will be fine :) relax and enjoy the last few months :) good luck!!!
    oneofeach26

Answer by oneofeach26 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• I was positive with 3 of mine. Nothing to worry about imo as long as you get to the hospital in time for the antibiotics. Mine were all fine.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:54 PM on Oct. 17, 2013