Finally!

Senate and House pass bill to re-open the government, raise the debt ceiling

http://news.yahoo.com/compromise-or-collapse--lawmakers-eye-breakthrough-on-debt--spending-150123572.html

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 10:30 PM on Oct. 16, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• oh good.... let's just keep raising the debt ceiling... what the hell... it's only money we DON'T have! Sigh...
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:35 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• I hate the idea that we'll go right back to this in a few months. If I was anyone that worked for the government I'd be jumping ship as quick as I could. I believe that there will come a day and time that the USA will no longer be able to borrow money. That the country's we owe money to will want paid back in full and then where will we be. Enough's enough. If this was a family there is no way a bank would continue to loan them all the money they wanted knowing full well that they could never pay it back. Why is this so different? Some time in the near future we're going to have to pay the piper and it's going to hurt. I'm not planning on the government for SS. I doubt if it will be there because they won't have the funds. They'll be broke and unable to pay anyone.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:19 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

• The govt was shutdown?? Honestly, I couldn't tell....

So, the GOP caved. Again. Lovely.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:33 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• doesn't mean much because like you said it only for a few months then it starts all over. they just didn't want to be bothered with it over the holidays.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 10:34 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• Wasn't back pay always a part of whatever deals they were working on? I know that doesn't help when you actually need a paycheck, but I wouldn't think they could get away with expecting people to work for nothing.

As for reaching a deal, it's one we all lose. Real recovery will be painful for all of us, but it seems there are a majority of people that don't understand that or don't really care. Kicking the can down the road is not a solution. These are manufactured crisis to molest the system. It's disgusting.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:07 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• All they did was put off the problem for a little while. It's pure insanity.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:18 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

• anon, it's both sides that were too rigid to deal. But keep believing the PMSNBC talking points that it was all the GOP.

Real recovery is going to hurt. There is not enough money to borrow our way out of the financial mess our elected officials keep making worse. Eventually the money runs out or you can't borrow any more. Then what? Those non-essential jobs are going away forever and in a worse economy. Government hasn't lived within it's means as they preach to the public to tighten their belts. You first, government.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:19 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

• at least we know they'll have it "fixed" by this time next year...wouldnt want their precious jobs to be affected by their own incompetence.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:18 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• Hmmm just think, if our nation would have defaulted on payments, Obama would be known as the president who was responsible for the 1st major Western government to default since Germany 80 or so yrs ago..

But IMO, we are in this mess because of the major spending Obama did in his 1st term, and now because he refuses to even negotiate with anyone regarding his stupid healthcare bullshit. He made allowances for major companies and postponed for them a year, but will not and did not extend it for the people. So now we have less then 3 months to get on a health plan or get fined.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:59 AM on Oct. 17, 2013