How much food & formula should my 6 month old be eating? adult content

I'm a first time mom so by no means am I a pro at parenting. But since the birth of our daughter in April my mother in law has pretty much tried to take over and completely disregards things that I ask her to do, or will do them "her way" because it's more convieint for her. For example; when I switched my daughter from breast to formula she became constipated and would have very formed bowel movements, my pediatrician suggested dark Karo syrup in her bottle of a morning and that if it didn't correct itself with baby food and a more fiberous diet then we would consider a consult to a specialist, well she refused to give her a Karo bottle because it had too much sugar in it and then would wonder why her poop was so hard.
No we're onto baby food, yay!! :) when I have her during the day before I go to work(grandma has her in the afternoon while I work) she gets 6ozs of formula every 4 hours and 3 meals(1 container of food per "meal") a day. For example if she has a bottle at 8am, then I give her a fruit at 10ish, then she will have a bottle at 12pm and generally nap from 12:30-1:30 or so, then she has a veggie at 2, a bottle at 4, and her dinner veggie at 6, and a bedtime bottle at 8 and then is asleep by 9:30. This was a daily routine that we had down pat until I went back to work full time a few weeks ago. When my daughter is with her she will give her a whole container of food an then a 6oz bottle immediately after her food,but then wonders why she spits up.
I'm sorry this is so long, but my ultimate question is; what type of eating style between food an formula is a good style, and also is there any way I can get her to follow my direction. I know different techniques work well with different babies but any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

ktich07

Asked by ktich07 at 10:52 PM on Oct. 16, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She should be drinking 24-32 ounces of formula/day. Bottle first followed by solids until baby is full. I agree with your mil about the karo syrup.

Answer by missanc at 10:56 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• Milk first ALWAYS. Baby food is "fun food" at this age, it is not very nutritional for them. They still need to get most of their nourishment from milk, whether it be breast or formula.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 11:06 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• You can not *make* someone do anything. Perhaps it is time to invest in a nanny or sitter. Someone you are paying to do what you want them to do.
    Anonymous

• NO KARO! THe company itself says don't give it to babies; it's a botulism risk.

Formula first. Solids for dessert. Formula must make up most of baby's diet right now, and for the next six months. If baby gets ZERO solids in that time, it's fine.

Google BABY LED SOLIDS for more info on how to feed your infant. You'll toss the jars for good!

Answer by gdiamante at 11:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• That is WAY too much food. Baby should be eating a tablespoon per session at most. But that's just my opinion I guess. Really, sounds like way too much. The digestive system is so delicate right now. Get a new pediatrician too.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:46 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Formula/breastmilk FIRST. Solids an hour after.

Get a whiteboard and write a daily intake schedule. Have your mom check off what times (in order and exact amounts) things are given.

staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:50 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

• The baby should NOT be eating baby food until at least 10 months. ONLY FORMULA....
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:11 PM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Sweetheart, welcome to the world of being a new mom and dealing with grandparents!! So with your baby being 6 months he/she should only be getting her formula. Solid foods are not introduced until your baby is at a year old. Around 9/10 months you can introduce rice cereal with a spoon. But for right now stop all the "food" and stay with only formula. It will help your baby not have allergies and the spitting up is coming from way to much food. 6-8 ounces ounces of FORMULA every 4-6 hours is enough. Tell Grandma to back off and let you be mom. Best wishes.
    PLml

Answer by PLml at 6:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2013