What is your opinion?

I have 3 really close friends that have had babies with in the past year that have blessed me with stuff their children have out grown or no longer use like some clothes, a crib/ changing table combo with the changing pad, 2 swings, a walker, and 2 car seats, along with other smaller nick knacks so when they asked what I wanted/needed for my baby shower in a few weeks and if I was registered anywhere yet I told them where I'm registered then politely told them they didn't have to worry just come have fun because they've done so much for me already. well when my mom and sister found out they said I should have told them what I wanted/needed because that's why people are invited is to bring gifts and if they don't bring a gift it's rude and shouldn't even come but I feel its more rude to seem greedy, am I wrong?

Jasmommie

Asked by Jasmommie at 11:17 PM on Oct. 16, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Your mom and sisters are looking for more gifts. Are they usually greedy?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• Mom and sister need to chill out! Your response to your friends was very thoughtful and probably much appreciated. They probably will still get you at least a token gift, and you did tell them where you were registered, so they actually do know what you want and need. :)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:22 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• You did FINE. Your mom and sister are acting like clods.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:26 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• Under normal circumstances, it is rude to show up to a party without bringing a gift. HOWEVER, given that they have passed on items to you and you told them that a gift wasn't necessary, it's totally fine. They will likely still get you SOMETHING.

I agree with the ladies above: you did just fine. If you were my daughter, I would tell you that I was proud of you :-)

Congrats!
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:33 PM on Oct. 16, 2013

• I think it was well done of you to be so kind as to tell them you appreciate all they've already done for you.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:05 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Did you ask them for the handme downs? If not. It is not rude to ask them to at least buy some diapers or oncies.

Answer by louise2 at 7:29 AM on Oct. 17, 2013

• Having a party just to get stuff is greedy as hell. You did the right thing. Baby showers are about celebrating a new life coming into the family, not a means to get stuff.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 17, 2013